BYU basketball: Headband-wearing Brandon Davies records double-double for BYU against Pepperdine
Davies suffered a gash during Wednesday's practice and received eight stitches above his right eye. He wore a headband to cover the bandage that covered the stitches.
With the headband, Davies recorded a double-double, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds, in the Cougars' dramatic 63-61 victory over Pepperdine on Thursday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.
"He wanted something to cover (the stitches) and have some padding on it," coach Dave Rose explained.
During Wednesday's practice, Davies was accidentally elbowed by 6-foot-11 freshman Ian Harward, according to Cougar guard Tyler Haws.
"It's funny, because (the scar) kind of looks like Harry Potter," Haws said. "It's like a 'Z'. (Davies) is pretty proud of it."
Haws praised Davies for turning in a strong performance Thursday.
"He was awesome," Haws said. "When we can throw him the ball and he was going to work like he was tonight, it creates so many opportunities for other players, too."
Davies made 10-of-17 shots against the Waves in 33 minutes of play. He also had three assists and one blocked shot. Davies picked up his third foul early in the second half, but did not commit a foul the rest of the game.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah Jazz: Better game but same losing result...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 102
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 71
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 60
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34