BYU basketball: Headband-wearing Brandon Davies records double-double for BYU against Pepperdine
Davies suffered a gash during Wednesday's practice and received eight stitches above his right eye. He wore a headband to cover the bandage that covered the stitches.
With the headband, Davies recorded a double-double, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds, in the Cougars' dramatic 63-61 victory over Pepperdine on Thursday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.
"He wanted something to cover (the stitches) and have some padding on it," coach Dave Rose explained.
During Wednesday's practice, Davies was accidentally elbowed by 6-foot-11 freshman Ian Harward, according to Cougar guard Tyler Haws.
"It's funny, because (the scar) kind of looks like Harry Potter," Haws said. "It's like a 'Z'. (Davies) is pretty proud of it."
Haws praised Davies for turning in a strong performance Thursday.
"He was awesome," Haws said. "When we can throw him the ball and he was going to work like he was tonight, it creates so many opportunities for other players, too."
Davies made 10-of-17 shots against the Waves in 33 minutes of play. He also had three assists and one blocked shot. Davies picked up his third foul early in the second half, but did not commit a foul the rest of the game.
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- IOC leaders stop short of complete ban on...
- Aussies won't move to Rio village yet; power,...
- Ken Griffey Jr. and Mike Piazza inducted into...
- 'Vive la France': Chris Froome makes...
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 54
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 42
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 41
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 30
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23