BYU basketball: Headband-wearing Brandon Davies records double-double for BYU against Pepperdine
Davies suffered a gash during Wednesday's practice and received eight stitches above his right eye. He wore a headband to cover the bandage that covered the stitches.
With the headband, Davies recorded a double-double, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds, in the Cougars' dramatic 63-61 victory over Pepperdine on Thursday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.
"He wanted something to cover (the stitches) and have some padding on it," coach Dave Rose explained.
During Wednesday's practice, Davies was accidentally elbowed by 6-foot-11 freshman Ian Harward, according to Cougar guard Tyler Haws.
"It's funny, because (the scar) kind of looks like Harry Potter," Haws said. "It's like a 'Z'. (Davies) is pretty proud of it."
Haws praised Davies for turning in a strong performance Thursday.
"He was awesome," Haws said. "When we can throw him the ball and he was going to work like he was tonight, it creates so many opportunities for other players, too."
Davies made 10-of-17 shots against the Waves in 33 minutes of play. He also had three assists and one blocked shot. Davies picked up his third foul early in the second half, but did not commit a foul the rest of the game.
- Morning links: Former BYU player Paul Lasike...
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs and...
- Back from injury, BYU QB Taysom Hill wants...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Utes football fan raising money to put 'Utah'...
- Dante Exum returning to Utah after injuring...
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- High school football: Alta Hawks 2015 preview
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 30
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 24
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 17
- Dick Harmon: As camps open, Utes, Cougs... 17
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other... 16