BYU basketball: Headband-wearing Brandon Davies records double-double for BYU against Pepperdine
Davies suffered a gash during Wednesday's practice and received eight stitches above his right eye. He wore a headband to cover the bandage that covered the stitches.
With the headband, Davies recorded a double-double, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds, in the Cougars' dramatic 63-61 victory over Pepperdine on Thursday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.
"He wanted something to cover (the stitches) and have some padding on it," coach Dave Rose explained.
During Wednesday's practice, Davies was accidentally elbowed by 6-foot-11 freshman Ian Harward, according to Cougar guard Tyler Haws.
"It's funny, because (the scar) kind of looks like Harry Potter," Haws said. "It's like a 'Z'. (Davies) is pretty proud of it."
Haws praised Davies for turning in a strong performance Thursday.
"He was awesome," Haws said. "When we can throw him the ball and he was going to work like he was tonight, it creates so many opportunities for other players, too."
Davies made 10-of-17 shots against the Waves in 33 minutes of play. He also had three assists and one blocked shot. Davies picked up his third foul early in the second half, but did not commit a foul the rest of the game.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35