BYU basketball: Headband-wearing Brandon Davies records double-double for BYU against Pepperdine
Davies suffered a gash during Wednesday's practice and received eight stitches above his right eye. He wore a headband to cover the bandage that covered the stitches.
With the headband, Davies recorded a double-double, scoring 20 points and grabbing 12 rebounds, in the Cougars' dramatic 63-61 victory over Pepperdine on Thursday night at Firestone Fieldhouse.
"He wanted something to cover (the stitches) and have some padding on it," coach Dave Rose explained.
During Wednesday's practice, Davies was accidentally elbowed by 6-foot-11 freshman Ian Harward, according to Cougar guard Tyler Haws.
"It's funny, because (the scar) kind of looks like Harry Potter," Haws said. "It's like a 'Z'. (Davies) is pretty proud of it."
Haws praised Davies for turning in a strong performance Thursday.
"He was awesome," Haws said. "When we can throw him the ball and he was going to work like he was tonight, it creates so many opportunities for other players, too."
Davies made 10-of-17 shots against the Waves in 33 minutes of play. He also had three assists and one blocked shot. Davies picked up his third foul early in the second half, but did not commit a foul the rest of the game.
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former longtime Utah Jazz broadcaster Hot Rod...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes as...
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in spite...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 102
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 16