Westminster basketball: women's team reaches 20 wins with 83-45 defeat of Rocky Mountain
SALT LAKE CITY – The fifth-ranked Westminster College women's basketball team claimed its 20th win of the season with an 83-45 win over Rocky Mountain (Mont.) on Thursday evening in the Behnken Field House.
Westminster is now 20-2 on the season and has now reached the 20-win plateau in six straight seasons. The Griffins remain perfect in league play at 9-0 and have clinched a spot in the Frontier Conference Tournament. Rocky Mountain drops to 7-13 overall and 4-6 in league with the loss.
The Griffins shot 50 percent from the floor in the first half to carry a 42-23 lead into intermission. They led just 15-13 with 10:42 to play in the half before a 16-6 run over the next 4:15 pushed the lead to 31-18. Another 14-3 run early in the second half pushed the advantage to 30.
Westminster finished the game at 47.3 percent from the field with five makes from beyond the arc. The Griffins had a 36-14 advantage in points in the paint and out-rebounded Rocky 42-29. They held the visitors to 27.3 percent shooting and forced 22 turnovers, which resulted in 26 points, including 14 fast break points.
Nicole Yazzie led five Griffins in double figures with 16 points. She shot 4-of-7 from the field with two triples and made six of her eight free throw attempts. The senior also recorded five assists, two steals and zero turnovers. Amy Krommenhoek matched her career high with 13 points off the bench, while adding four rebounds and six steals. Kelsi Wells added 11 points and Cydney Tibbitts and Brooke Larsen had 10 apiece.
Brittany Kumm led Rocky with 11 points thanks to three first half treys. Taylor Hurst added eight points and Haleigh Crnkovich finished with seven points and three assists.
Next up for the Griffins is a Saturday contest against Lewis-Clark State (Idaho). The action will tip off at 5:30 p.m. in the Behnken Field House.
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 72
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 44
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26