BYU almost let the game slip away after Andon Winder fouled Jordan Baker as he was shooting a three, giving him three free throws.
The Cougars trailed by 11 at the half, but Brandon Davies notched a double-double, scoring 20 points and 12 rebounds, and Tyler Haws scored 15 second-half points to finish with 21 on the night.
BYU struggled in the first half, going 0 for 6 from beyond the arc, but after some second half adjustments, the Cougars netted 6 three pointers.
Davies controlled the game for BYU but got in some foul trouble early in the second half. Carlino took over for the Cougars, including a pair of clutch free throws to keep BYU in the game.
Pepperdine's Nikolas Skouen finished with 16 points for the Waves.
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Injured Lochte plows ahead in 200 free at US...
- Djokovic beat James Ward to open bid for 5th...
- Durant, Anthony lead US Olympic basketball team
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 79
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 63
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 51
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- 10 takeaways from BYU football media day 30
- Who will be BYU's starting quarterback?... 23
- Utah football: Williams, McCormick... 21