BYU almost let the game slip away after Andon Winder fouled Jordan Baker as he was shooting a three, giving him three free throws.
The Cougars trailed by 11 at the half, but Brandon Davies notched a double-double, scoring 20 points and 12 rebounds, and Tyler Haws scored 15 second-half points to finish with 21 on the night.
BYU struggled in the first half, going 0 for 6 from beyond the arc, but after some second half adjustments, the Cougars netted 6 three pointers.
Davies controlled the game for BYU but got in some foul trouble early in the second half. Carlino took over for the Cougars, including a pair of clutch free throws to keep BYU in the game.
Pepperdine's Nikolas Skouen finished with 16 points for the Waves.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27