BYU almost let the game slip away after Andon Winder fouled Jordan Baker as he was shooting a three, giving him three free throws.
The Cougars trailed by 11 at the half, but Brandon Davies notched a double-double, scoring 20 points and 12 rebounds, and Tyler Haws scored 15 second-half points to finish with 21 on the night.
BYU struggled in the first half, going 0 for 6 from beyond the arc, but after some second half adjustments, the Cougars netted 6 three pointers.
Davies controlled the game for BYU but got in some foul trouble early in the second half. Carlino took over for the Cougars, including a pair of clutch free throws to keep BYU in the game.
Pepperdine's Nikolas Skouen finished with 16 points for the Waves.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- 5 things to watch for as BYU, Utah and USU...
- Randy Hollis: Utah's Perrins is one of the...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- High school football: Hunter Wolverines 2015...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion talk... 113
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 54
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 44
- 4-star basketball recruit Connor... 32
- Whittingham dishes on stadium... 27
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 27
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 21