LAYTON — A Layton homeowner shot at a man who was trying to burglarize his home Thursday, police say.
Police said the homeowner arrived at his house on Gentile Street just before 4 p.m. to find a green passenger car with two occupants sitting in the driveway. The driver began to honk the horn, and a man emerged from the house carrying a pry bar, police said.
The homeowner grabbed a handgun from his vehicle and confronted the man, eventually firing two shots. No one was injured, and police are investigating when the shots were fired and where the man was aiming.
Meanwhile, the occupants of the green car — described as an adult woman who was driving and an "older" male sitting in the back seat — fled the scene and were still at large Thursday night.
Police arrived as the suspected burglar ran from the home, but they apprehended and arrested him nearby. The man was identified as Robert Santos Cruz, 47.
Both Cruz and the homeowner were being questioned by police in the incident.
Deanna Jones, a neighbor, said she was worried about her neighbor as she watched the investigation unfold.
"I saw three police vehicles that were parked at our neighbor's home," she said. "We love him, and we're concerned and we want him to be safe as well."
Contributing: Devon Dolan
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- 25-year-old man dies after losing control of...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Why Syracuse mom killed her 2 daughters still...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 73
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 53
- British judge hears arguments in case... 47
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 29