Police: Layton homeowner shoots at suspected burglar
LAYTON — A Layton homeowner shot at a man who was trying to burglarize his home Thursday, police say.
Police said the homeowner arrived at his house on Gentile Street just before 4 p.m. to find a green passenger car with two occupants sitting in the driveway. The driver began to honk the horn, and a man emerged from the house carrying a pry bar, police said.
The homeowner grabbed a handgun from his vehicle and confronted the man, eventually firing two shots. No one was injured, and police are investigating when the shots were fired and where the man was aiming.
Meanwhile, the occupants of the green car — described as an adult woman who was driving and an "older" male sitting in the back seat — fled the scene and were still at large Thursday night.
Police arrived as the suspected burglar ran from the home, but they apprehended and arrested him nearby. The man was identified as Robert Santos Cruz, 47.
Both Cruz and the homeowner were being questioned by police in the incident.
Deanna Jones, a neighbor, said she was worried about her neighbor as she watched the investigation unfold.
"I saw three police vehicles that were parked at our neighbor's home," she said. "We love him, and we're concerned and we want him to be safe as well."
Contributing: Devon Dolan
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah town...
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 75
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 27
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25