UVU basketball: Jensen receives academic all-district accolades
Denis Concordel, www.widgic.com
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University senior Sammie Jensen has been named to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Women's Basketball Team. The award was released Thursday and was selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America.
The Capital One Academic All-District Teams have been selected to recognize the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances athletically and in the classroom. The Academic All-District teams have been divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada. District 8 is represented by student-athletes from schools in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington and Canada.
Joining Jensen on her team are Layshia Clarendon (California), Ta'Rea Cunnigan (San Jose State), Chiney Ogwumike (Stanford) and Taryn Wicijowski (Utah). Three of the four student-athletes joining Jensen are from the Pac-12 Conference.
"I am very proud of all that Sammie has accomplished, both on the court and in the classroom," UVU head coach Cathy Nixon said. "It is great to see her recognized for her tremendous effort academically. She is a self-motivated, committed student and is very deserving of this recognition."
Jensen, who is majoring in biology at UVU, has a 3.64 cumulative GPA. She was named to the Great West Conference All-Academic Team a year ago, as well as being named the Great West Conference Player of the Year last season. She currently leads the conference in both scoring (17.2 ppg) and rebounding (12.8 rpg) this season.
The Wolverine forward has also been named the Great West Player of the Week six times so far this season and her 12.8 rebound per game average currently ranks her fourth in the nation. Jensen also is ranked sixth in the country in double-doubles with 14 in 20 games so far this year.
Jensen is now eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America® Team. The NCAA Division I team will be announced next month.
District 8 Team
Layshia Clarendon (California) Sr., San Bernardino, Calif., 3.47, American Studies
Ta'Rea Cunnigan (San Jose State) So., Winchester, Calif., 3.61, Kinesiology
Sammie Jensen (Utah Valley) Sr., Stansbury Park, Utah, 3.64, Biology
Chiney Ogwumike (Stanford) Jr., Cypress, Texas, 3.41, International Business
Taryn Wicijowski (Utah) Jr., Regina, Saskatchewan, 3.93, Biology/Psychology
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- BYU supports Virginia kicker whose dad...
- Former BYU tight end Dennis Pitta's season is...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU football: No rest for BYU defense during...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 143
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 91
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 73
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 53
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset,... 29