UVU basketball: Holton Hunsaker named to Capital One Academic All-District Team
OREM, Utah - Utah Valley University junior Holton Hunsaker has been named to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Men's Basketball Team, the College Sports Information Directors of America announced Thursday. District 8 is represented by student athletes from schools in Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, Utah and Washington.
Joining Hunsaker on the team are Kelly Olynyk (Gonzaga University), Marc Trasolini (Santa Clara University), Matthew Dellavedova (Saint Mary's College) and Cody Doolin (University of San Francisco). Other than Hunsaker, all four hail from the West Coast Conference.
"Holton carries his competitive spirit and determination that he displays on the court into the classroom," said his coach and father, Dick Hunsaker. "He enjoys learning and takes his academics very seriously."
Hunsaker, an accounting major, has a 3.9 cumulative GPA and was also on the Academic All-Great West Conference team as a sophomore. He is the first men's basketball player to be named to the All-District first team and just the second (Peter Brown, 2007 second team) to receive All-District honors in UVU's NCAA Division I era.
"I'm humbled to be recognized with such an elite group of student-athletes," he said. "I'm also grateful for professors and academic advisors who have all been so willing to make themselves available during our hectic travel schedule."
Hunsaker's on-court success includes being named the Great West Conference Player of the Week three times so far in 2012-13. He also set a career-high and tied a school record with eight 3-pointers with a 37-point effort at Chattanooga in December.
Hunsaker is now eligible for the Capital One Academic All-America® Team. The NCAA Division I team will be announced on Thursday, Feb. 21.
Clint Burgi is the assistant athletic director for sports information at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19