Ravell Call, Deseret News
ROY — Snow and ice caused several storage sheds to collapse here Thursday, causing heavy damage to antique cars, recreational vehicles, a trailer and at least one boat.
Residents near the storage shed facility, 2775 W. 5500 South, heard the collapse just before 8:30 a.m. and called 911. The roofs on six units completely collapsed and two others suffered partial collapses.
Roy Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Comeau said the Urban Search and Rescue team was called to search each unit individually to see if anything was in the sheds. No one was trapped inside.
The sheds, each measuring about 12 feet wide, 30 feet long and 14 feet tall, are more than 20 years old, Comeau said.
"I think it was just a combination of them being an older construction as well as there was some ice buildup on them as well as snow. They were all wood construction, wood truss, wood walls," he said.
There was risk Wednesday afternoon of additional sheds collapsing. Comeau said all of the sheds had been fenced off, however, and owners were not allowed inside to get their possessions out. Contractors would have to secure the sheds before anyone from the public would be allowed inside, he said.
Carol Wiggins owns two of the storage sheds that collapsed. She said most of the tenants had "cars and trucks, and we have a camp trailer in there."
"I guess it's just stuff. It'll all work out," she said.
The roof of the sheds had about a foot of snow with a layer at ice at the bottom. Fire officials are cautioning residents to be aware of the conditions of their roofs, noting that the snow on structures is a little heavier right now.
Contributing: Andrew Adams
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11