TAYLORSVILLE — Salt Lake Community College has honored three community members with the 2013 Embracing the Dream award.
The honorees are artist and activist Ruby Chacon; Episcopal Bishop Scott Hayashi; and Jack Hesleph, Salt Lake Community College director of Student Employment and Cooperative Education Services at a humanitarian awards ceremony on Tuesday.
The Embracing the Dream awards commemorate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and a panel discussion on King was held Tuesday in conjunction with the ceremony at SLCC's Taylorsville campus.
Salt Lake native Chacon’s work depicts the lives and the histories of peoples indigenous to the American West.
Bishop Hayashi is the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. During more than 25 years of ordained ministry, Hayashi has served inner city, suburban and rural congregations in California, Utah and Washington.
Hesleph has worked for SLCC since 1984.
- Rocky Mountain Power: Thousands on Wasatch...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- 41 inmates in Davis County Jail earn high...
- 'Regimented' UTA employee remembered as...
- Office of Economic Development names...
- Parents look for answers after daughter was...
- U. grad one of top 25 law students in the nation
- LDS Church condemns sexual assault as... 60
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 21
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 18
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Gov. Herbert: Bears Ears resolution... 11
- Utah defends busting theater for... 11