TAYLORSVILLE — Salt Lake Community College has honored three community members with the 2013 Embracing the Dream award.
The honorees are artist and activist Ruby Chacon; Episcopal Bishop Scott Hayashi; and Jack Hesleph, Salt Lake Community College director of Student Employment and Cooperative Education Services at a humanitarian awards ceremony on Tuesday.
The Embracing the Dream awards commemorate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and a panel discussion on King was held Tuesday in conjunction with the ceremony at SLCC's Taylorsville campus.
Salt Lake native Chacon’s work depicts the lives and the histories of peoples indigenous to the American West.
Bishop Hayashi is the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. During more than 25 years of ordained ministry, Hayashi has served inner city, suburban and rural congregations in California, Utah and Washington.
Hesleph has worked for SLCC since 1984.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16