TAYLORSVILLE — Salt Lake Community College has honored three community members with the 2013 Embracing the Dream award.
The honorees are artist and activist Ruby Chacon; Episcopal Bishop Scott Hayashi; and Jack Hesleph, Salt Lake Community College director of Student Employment and Cooperative Education Services at a humanitarian awards ceremony on Tuesday.
The Embracing the Dream awards commemorate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and a panel discussion on King was held Tuesday in conjunction with the ceremony at SLCC's Taylorsville campus.
Salt Lake native Chacon’s work depicts the lives and the histories of peoples indigenous to the American West.
Bishop Hayashi is the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. During more than 25 years of ordained ministry, Hayashi has served inner city, suburban and rural congregations in California, Utah and Washington.
Hesleph has worked for SLCC since 1984.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14