TAYLORSVILLE — Salt Lake Community College has honored three community members with the 2013 Embracing the Dream award.
The honorees are artist and activist Ruby Chacon; Episcopal Bishop Scott Hayashi; and Jack Hesleph, Salt Lake Community College director of Student Employment and Cooperative Education Services at a humanitarian awards ceremony on Tuesday.
The Embracing the Dream awards commemorate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and a panel discussion on King was held Tuesday in conjunction with the ceremony at SLCC's Taylorsville campus.
Salt Lake native Chacon’s work depicts the lives and the histories of peoples indigenous to the American West.
Bishop Hayashi is the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. During more than 25 years of ordained ministry, Hayashi has served inner city, suburban and rural congregations in California, Utah and Washington.
Hesleph has worked for SLCC since 1984.
- Video: How to choose the right helmet for...
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate legal...
- Body of missing hiker found above Alta
- Documents: Former teacher says he used to...
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald Trump...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- Worthy of celebration: 99-year history of...
- Syracuse woman killed in Antelope Drive crash
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 29
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21