TAYLORSVILLE — Salt Lake Community College has honored three community members with the 2013 Embracing the Dream award.
The honorees are artist and activist Ruby Chacon; Episcopal Bishop Scott Hayashi; and Jack Hesleph, Salt Lake Community College director of Student Employment and Cooperative Education Services at a humanitarian awards ceremony on Tuesday.
The Embracing the Dream awards commemorate the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and a panel discussion on King was held Tuesday in conjunction with the ceremony at SLCC's Taylorsville campus.
Salt Lake native Chacon’s work depicts the lives and the histories of peoples indigenous to the American West.
Bishop Hayashi is the 11th bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Utah. During more than 25 years of ordained ministry, Hayashi has served inner city, suburban and rural congregations in California, Utah and Washington.
Hesleph has worked for SLCC since 1984.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23