Starting this week, it costs to pay with plastic.
Businesses in 40 states, including Utah, can now charge a 4 percent fee on a credit card transaction, according to an article by Consumerism Commentary.
Previously, merchants generally paid “swipe fees” each time a customer used a credit card. Banks and card issuers earned 3 to 4 percent of the transaction price in total.
Those costs were passed on to customers in more spread-out ways, regardless of what payment type was used. But now, credit card users will pay the direct fee.
This nullifies most benefits that come from using a card, considering even cards offering 5 percent cash back only allow it on specific products. Cash could be the best option.
Are cash users really costing a company less, though? Luke Landes, author of the Consumerism Commentary article, said he doesn’t think so.
“The figuring can’t ignore, however, there is a cost to a retail location’s acceptance of cash,” Landes said. “Someone needs to handle the cash, and a responsible employee needs to count it at the end of the day. Someone needs to bring the cash to the bank to deposit it, and the bank surely charges fees for business deposits. Have an armored guard service? You can bet there is a cost associated — a cost no business would have to deal with if all transactions were effected with plastic or electronics."
States that don’t allow the credit card charge are California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.
- Top 50 companies to work for in Utah
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching dollars...
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are they...
- Clean up your finances by tossing paper,...
- Utah job forecast better than most states
- A Closer Look: Your (online) life after death
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on state...
- The market power of pumpkin spice
- US wealth gap putting the squeeze on... 26
- The economy has begun to recover, but... 24
- Extended warranties a big sell. Are... 4
- Dave Ramsey says: Tips for stretching... 4
- These are America's 10 poorest congressmen 2
- How employers can improve the nation's... 2
- Save money by replacing appliances that... 1
- Retail sales are up since last month 1