Education key to Utah's economic prosperity, Gov. Gary Herbert says
"Sometimes promoting economic development means accepting the herculean task of moving and modernizing a prison," he said.
Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said there will likely be some action this session to start the process of moving the prison. The idea that will probably fly is the creation of an authority to oversee relocation and development of the land.
Herbert pointed to Allyson Gamble as example of how business innovation impacts people's lives. Gamble, who runs the Capitol Preservation Board office, has survived two heart transplants. The devices and procedures that saved her life were created by Edwards Lifesciences, a growing company that has a facility in Utah.
The governor also honored Clarke Christensen, Ross Anderson and Camron Nielson, all of whom were injured fighting the Clay Springs fire in what was one of Utah's worst wildfire seasons in history.
Energy development and conservation were also prominent themes in Herbert's speech. He called on residents to use 25 percent less water by 2025 and find ways to cause less air pollution.
Herbert's speech comes at a time when he appears to be riding high among Utahns, according to a poll released Wednesday.
The Center for the Study of Elections and Democracy at BYU found 83 percent of voters approve of the job he is doing, including 37 percent who strongly approve.
The poll also found that 82 percent have a favorable impression of the governor, while 15 percent have an unfavorable impression. Key Research Solutions surveyed 500 registered voters for the center Jan. 22-25. The poll has an margin of error of plus or minus 4.4 percent.
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on companies
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Constantly changing online prices stump shoppers
- Record-breaking holiday travel expected
- Obama renews tax breaks, creates ABLE accounts
- Gift Guide: Strong photo, video gear options
- Chrysler to recall about 288K Ram pickup trucks
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Keystone pipeline to top Senate agenda... 3
- AP sources: NFL employees turn over... 3
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- PacifiCorp to close Deer Creek Mine in... 3