SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Commission on Immigration and Migration appears to be headed for repeal under a bill that advanced Wednesday in the Utah State Senate.
SB28, sponsored by Sen. Peter Knudson, R-Brigham City, is primarily a cleanup measure to eliminate boards and commissions that have outlived their purpose or are no longer active. The bill was amended to include the immigration panel.
The commission was formed by legislation passed in 2011 to act as a body to study the issues and advise lawmakers.
The group, which includes lawmakers, the attorney general, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell and a number of community leaders, has met regularly since it was formed. Last year, the commission agreed to seek funding from the Legislature in 2013 to conduct a comprehensive study of immigration impacts in Utah.
Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said it appears the commission has little more to do, absent a change in state policy or federal immigration reform. President Barack Obama and a bipartisan group of U.S. senators announced their respective proposals to overhaul the nation's immigration laws earlier this week.
"Pretty much, their work is done. Any more meetings would be nonproductive or counterproductive," Niederhauser said.
The bill will be considered one more time in the Senate before final passage.
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Former Romney finance chairman courting a...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Former wrestlers charged, assistant coach...
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 59
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 36
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14