SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Commission on Immigration and Migration appears to be headed for repeal under a bill that advanced Wednesday in the Utah State Senate.
SB28, sponsored by Sen. Peter Knudson, R-Brigham City, is primarily a cleanup measure to eliminate boards and commissions that have outlived their purpose or are no longer active. The bill was amended to include the immigration panel.
The commission was formed by legislation passed in 2011 to act as a body to study the issues and advise lawmakers.
The group, which includes lawmakers, the attorney general, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell and a number of community leaders, has met regularly since it was formed. Last year, the commission agreed to seek funding from the Legislature in 2013 to conduct a comprehensive study of immigration impacts in Utah.
Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said it appears the commission has little more to do, absent a change in state policy or federal immigration reform. President Barack Obama and a bipartisan group of U.S. senators announced their respective proposals to overhaul the nation's immigration laws earlier this week.
"Pretty much, their work is done. Any more meetings would be nonproductive or counterproductive," Niederhauser said.
The bill will be considered one more time in the Senate before final passage.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 42
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 37
- Mitt Romney says family still wants him... 35
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Old West showdown? Freeway cattle drive... 30
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 29
- Hal Boyd: Why Mitt Romney's family,... 26