SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Commission on Immigration and Migration appears to be headed for repeal under a bill that advanced Wednesday in the Utah State Senate.
SB28, sponsored by Sen. Peter Knudson, R-Brigham City, is primarily a cleanup measure to eliminate boards and commissions that have outlived their purpose or are no longer active. The bill was amended to include the immigration panel.
The commission was formed by legislation passed in 2011 to act as a body to study the issues and advise lawmakers.
The group, which includes lawmakers, the attorney general, Lt. Gov. Greg Bell and a number of community leaders, has met regularly since it was formed. Last year, the commission agreed to seek funding from the Legislature in 2013 to conduct a comprehensive study of immigration impacts in Utah.
Senate President Wayne Niederhauser, R-Sandy, said it appears the commission has little more to do, absent a change in state policy or federal immigration reform. President Barack Obama and a bipartisan group of U.S. senators announced their respective proposals to overhaul the nation's immigration laws earlier this week.
"Pretty much, their work is done. Any more meetings would be nonproductive or counterproductive," Niederhauser said.
The bill will be considered one more time in the Senate before final passage.
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Man arrested in connection with baby's death
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- Tired teen plowed into new car lot, Vernal...
- Utah’s Great Gallery rock art younger...
- Family of drowned Weber County man hopes free...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 52
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 48
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running... 36
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 27
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake... 19