Utahns experience third round of snowy morning commute
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a commuter special, round three, for many motorists along the Wasatch Front Wednesday morning.
For the third day in a row, snow-packed and slick roads made for a slow commute that included many accidents.
A jackknifed semitrailer on eastbound I-80 at 600 South caused significant delays. It was cleared about two hours later.
The Utah Highway Patrol recorded 25 crashes and 39 slideoffs between midnight and noon on Wednesday in Salt Lake County, while 15 crashes and 17 slideoffs were reported on the freeways in Utah County.
The Utah Department of Transportation announced Wednesday that since the beginning of the year, their 510 snowplows and trucks statewide have gone through more than 388,000 gallons of fuel totaling $1.3 million, and used nearly 95,000 tons of salt — totaling $2.5 million.
The Weber School District already announced it will be dismissing classes early on Wednesday.
"Due to the potential of severe inclement weather, all schools, elementary and secondary, will be dismissing early on Wednesday, Jan. 30. Lunch will be served. Elementary schools will follow the regular Wednesday schedule. All Wednesday elementary and secondary parent teacher conferences have been cancelled," according to a statement on the district's website.
A winter storm warning remained in effect Wednesday from Cache County to Utah County.
KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank said the snow was expected to increase by mid-morning and continue through the evening. The brunt of the storm may hit by the afternoon commute.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Missing Millard County woman's body found...
- Co-workers help Syracuse mother conquer daily...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 27
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 24
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12