Utahns experience third round of snowy morning commute
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a commuter special, round three, for many motorists along the Wasatch Front Wednesday morning.
For the third day in a row, snow-packed and slick roads made for a slow commute that included many accidents.
A jackknifed semitrailer on eastbound I-80 at 600 South caused significant delays. It was cleared about two hours later.
The Utah Highway Patrol recorded 25 crashes and 39 slideoffs between midnight and noon on Wednesday in Salt Lake County, while 15 crashes and 17 slideoffs were reported on the freeways in Utah County.
The Utah Department of Transportation announced Wednesday that since the beginning of the year, their 510 snowplows and trucks statewide have gone through more than 388,000 gallons of fuel totaling $1.3 million, and used nearly 95,000 tons of salt — totaling $2.5 million.
The Weber School District already announced it will be dismissing classes early on Wednesday.
"Due to the potential of severe inclement weather, all schools, elementary and secondary, will be dismissing early on Wednesday, Jan. 30. Lunch will be served. Elementary schools will follow the regular Wednesday schedule. All Wednesday elementary and secondary parent teacher conferences have been cancelled," according to a statement on the district's website.
A winter storm warning remained in effect Wednesday from Cache County to Utah County.
KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank said the snow was expected to increase by mid-morning and continue through the evening. The brunt of the storm may hit by the afternoon commute.
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- Salt Lake County cities, school districts...
- What went right: How one Orem family turned...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Herriman man says his brain tumor felt like a...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 48
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 37
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 33
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 16
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9