Yet more arrests in guns at Salt Lake airport cases
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Two more people were arrested in consecutive days at the Salt Lake City International Airport after TSA security agents said they found loaded firearms in the passengers' carry-on luggage.
The arrests make a total of seven at the airport since Jan. 1.
TSA officials say that's an alarming number considering that 20 guns were seized at the Salt Lake airport — and 24 at all Utah airports — during all of 2012.
In the latest incidents, Vinson Branon Miner, 37, of South Jordan, was arrested Sunday after a Kel-Tec .32-caliber gun was discovered in his bag. And Kenneth Edward May, 64, of Salina, was arrested Monday after security found a loaded Ruger LCP .280-caliber gun. Both were arrested for investigation of misdemeanor charges of bringing a gun to the airport.
Nationwide, the TSA reported finding 30 guns at checkpoints last week, with 25 of those weapons loaded and 13 of those with rounds in the chamber.
In the majority of cases, TSA spokeswoman Lorie Dankers said passengers are simply in a rush to get to the airport and forget that they have a firearm in their carry-on luggage. However, she said they still face potential state and federal charges when they're caught. There are ways, she said, to transport unloaded firearms in checked luggage legally.
If a person is convicted of a misdemeanor or felony charge of having a firearm at the airport, they face the potential of having their concealed weapons permit suspended for up to five years in addition to any penalties the court levies, according to the Utah Department of Public Safety. If a gun owner is able to have the charge reduced to an infraction before being found guilty, DPS does not take action regarding their weapons permit.
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Judge postpones ruling in Park City Mountain...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 44
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 35
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 33
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 29
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22