SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak announced that sophomore center Dallin Bachynski is taking a break from active competition.
“After meeting with Dallin, he and I agreed that it was in the best interest of both parties for him to step away from playing basketball for the time being,” Krystkowiak said in a released statement. “He will remain a part of our program during this time as he takes a break from active competition.”
Bachynski, who was averaging 5.2 points and 4.2 rebounds, will not participate in practice or suit up for games until further notice.
The 7-footer from Calgary made nine starts this season. His top performance came in Utah’s 57-46 win over Idaho State on Nov. 21 when he finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds.
Bachynski’s role, however, declined as the season progressed.
After logging just three minutes of playing time in last Thursday's 62-57 loss to California, Krystkowiak told reporters he planned to meet with Bachynski.
"There’s a lot of challenges and it’s important that guys come in with the right mindset. I think that’s the area that we’re struggling with right now — is making sure that we’ve got everybody on board," Krystkowiak said. "I’m not sure Dallin’s a little more worried (about) his trials and tribulations than he is about what the University of Utah is going through. That ends up being dysfunctional.”
Bachynski did not play in Sunday’s 87-56 setback to Stanford — marking his first missed game of the season.
Before transferring to Utah following an LDS Church mission to Croatia, Bachynski played one season at Southern Utah. His older brother, Jordan, is Arizona State’s starting center.
The Utes (9-11, 1-7) have lost two straight games. They host Colorado (14-6, 4-4) on Saturday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 33
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21