SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak announced that sophomore center Dallin Bachynski is taking a break from active competition.
“After meeting with Dallin, he and I agreed that it was in the best interest of both parties for him to step away from playing basketball for the time being,” Krystkowiak said in a released statement. “He will remain a part of our program during this time as he takes a break from active competition.”
Bachynski, who was averaging 5.2 points and 4.2 rebounds, will not participate in practice or suit up for games until further notice.
The 7-footer from Calgary made nine starts this season. His top performance came in Utah’s 57-46 win over Idaho State on Nov. 21 when he finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds.
Bachynski’s role, however, declined as the season progressed.
After logging just three minutes of playing time in last Thursday's 62-57 loss to California, Krystkowiak told reporters he planned to meet with Bachynski.
"There’s a lot of challenges and it’s important that guys come in with the right mindset. I think that’s the area that we’re struggling with right now — is making sure that we’ve got everybody on board," Krystkowiak said. "I’m not sure Dallin’s a little more worried (about) his trials and tribulations than he is about what the University of Utah is going through. That ends up being dysfunctional.”
Bachynski did not play in Sunday’s 87-56 setback to Stanford — marking his first missed game of the season.
Before transferring to Utah following an LDS Church mission to Croatia, Bachynski played one season at Southern Utah. His older brother, Jordan, is Arizona State’s starting center.
The Utes (9-11, 1-7) have lost two straight games. They host Colorado (14-6, 4-4) on Saturday.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- High school football: Bountiful High coach...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 80
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 32
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29