SALT LAKE CITY — Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak announced that sophomore center Dallin Bachynski is taking a break from active competition.
“After meeting with Dallin, he and I agreed that it was in the best interest of both parties for him to step away from playing basketball for the time being,” Krystkowiak said in a released statement. “He will remain a part of our program during this time as he takes a break from active competition.”
Bachynski, who was averaging 5.2 points and 4.2 rebounds, will not participate in practice or suit up for games until further notice.
The 7-footer from Calgary made nine starts this season. His top performance came in Utah’s 57-46 win over Idaho State on Nov. 21 when he finished with 22 points and 16 rebounds.
Bachynski’s role, however, declined as the season progressed.
After logging just three minutes of playing time in last Thursday's 62-57 loss to California, Krystkowiak told reporters he planned to meet with Bachynski.
"There’s a lot of challenges and it’s important that guys come in with the right mindset. I think that’s the area that we’re struggling with right now — is making sure that we’ve got everybody on board," Krystkowiak said. "I’m not sure Dallin’s a little more worried (about) his trials and tribulations than he is about what the University of Utah is going through. That ends up being dysfunctional.”
Bachynski did not play in Sunday’s 87-56 setback to Stanford — marking his first missed game of the season.
Before transferring to Utah following an LDS Church mission to Croatia, Bachynski played one season at Southern Utah. His older brother, Jordan, is Arizona State’s starting center.
The Utes (9-11, 1-7) have lost two straight games. They host Colorado (14-6, 4-4) on Saturday.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @DirkFacer
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles West...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- With rookie Dante Exum in starting lineup,...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- Gutsy guard: Perseverance has paid off for...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 87
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 52
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 50
- Morning links: Home stretch of... 31
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 27