Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Another day, another snowy commute in northern Utah.
Unlike the previous storm, however, Tuesday morning's winter weather initially affected Utah County more than Salt Lake County. Commuters in Davis and Weber counties also experienced significant delays in the morning commute due to snow.
From midnight until noon Tuesday, the Utah Highway Patrol received reports of 15 accidents in Utah County, plus an additional 53 vehicles that slid off the road. In Salt Lake County, there were nine reported accidents and 17 slide-offs. Davis County reported 40 crashes and slide-offs.
One of the most serious crashes Tuesday was on state Route 30 in Box Elder County. About 8:40 a.m., a woman lost control of her vehicle and spun into the path of an oncoming vehicle.
Camille Trimble, 20, of Tremonton, had to be extricated from her vehicle. She was taken to a local hospital in extremely critical condition with head injuries. The driver of the second vehicle, Katie Winkler, 28, of Tremonton, suffered leg injuries that were not life-threatening.
Parts of Utah County had received between 6 inches and 8 inches of snow by noon, according to the National Weather Service, while parts of Weber County had collected anywhere between 6 inches and 18 inches, according to KSL meteorologist Grant Weyman.
The Provo School District was forced to change bus pickup spots for students in the bench areas Tuesday morning because of the weather.
As the storm system moves in from the northwest, KSL meteorologist Kevin Eubank said the Wasatch Front can expect scattered snowfall before the snow picks up mid-morning Wednesday and continues through the evening.
Eubank cautioned drivers to slow down for the morning commute Wednesday and to especially be prepared for their trip home, which may be during the brunt of the storm.
- Biskupski calls for resignations of nearly...
- Ex-EFY counselor sent to prison for sex with...
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County egging...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Man who killed fiancee ordered to serve 1...
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan Johnson...
- 11,000 gallons of gasoline, butane and...
- Feds still won't say which labs received...
- Biskupski calls for resignations of... 78
- Men and women: Understanding the wage... 35
- Olene Walker, "one of Utah's finest... 17
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 13
- Ogden mother charged in Weber County... 13
- The new Thanksgiving tradition: A quick... 11
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- GOP gubernatorial candidate Jonathan... 9