UVU basketball: four Wolverines in double figures as UVU cruises to win
OREM, Utah - Led by four players in double figures and after jumping out to a 24-point halftime lead, Utah Valley University cruised to an 84-49 win over Peru State College on Monday night at the UCCU Center.
Holton Hunsaker led the way with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting including 4-for-6 from the 3-point line. The junior also collected five steals and dished out four assists.
Antoine Hosley scored his high as a Wolverine with 19 points, while Nick Thompson had a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Taylor Brown's 10 points rounded out the players in double figures for UVU.
"I like the way we played tonight," Wolverine coach Dick Hunsaker said. "I thought we came out with focus in a game that can sometimes be difficult. We got some very good energy and production from a lot of guys. I was pleased with our effort."
The Wolverines (10-12) took a quick 13-3 lead and led by seven, 16-9, before 10 straight points extended the lead to 26-9 midway through the first half. Hosley scored consecutive buckets before Hunsaker and Brown capped it with threes.
Hunsaker hit his second triple of the half to give UVU a 35-16 lead before Thompson scored on a turnaround and a followed with a 3-pointer to give the Wolverines a 40-16 advantage. The Wolverines led 46-22 at the half with Hunsaker scoring 12 and Hosley and Thompson at 11 apiece.
Utah Valley extended the lead to 32 on a layup by Hosley with 14:23 left in the game. The lead would reach as much as 38, 84-46, when Keawe Enos hit a pair of free throws with 50 seconds remaining. Enos scored seven for Utah Valley.
UVU out-rebounded Peru State 47-34 and turned 14 Bobcat turnovers into 23 points. The Wolverines also limited PSC to just 29.3 percent shooting while hitting 48.4 percent from the floor.
The Wolverines will play their second straight non-conference game when they travel to CSU Bakersfield this weekend. The contest pits two school for a Saturday contest against two schools that will join the Western Athletic Conference next season. That game will tip at 8 p.m. MT.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- The BYU international basketball tracker: How...
- Dick Harmon: So, another Kaufusi goes hybrid...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns from...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 71
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 46
- BYU volleyball: Cougars earn No. 1 seed... 26
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 17
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12