Sundance: ‘Life According to Sam’ invites healthy introspection (+video)
It would be inaccurate to say that “Life According to Sam” is a documentary about a de facto terminal illness, or a film about a vivacious boy. Because in reality, the movie is about both those things — with the common thread linking together the two themes being Leslie Gordon, the tenacious mother committed to solving the puzzle of progeria in order to prolong the life of her brave son.
The Fines clearly have a knack for storytelling, given how seamlessly they switch the film’s focus back and forth between progeria and Sam Bern. The end result is a work of art that will inspire people to inwardly reflect about how they too might infuse more gratitude and meaning into their lives.
“We’ve found that (our other films) get to be successful when people leave the movie theater or screening and they talk about it,” Sean Fine told the Deseret News. “They talk about (the movie) at dinner, they talk about it for a couple days later and it makes them think about bigger things than what they just watched on the screen.
“And we’re getting that kind of reaction from people with ‘Life According to Sam.’ The kind of thing that’s really neat is you have this kid — who most of us if we saw him on the street would just stare at when he walked by and kind of wonder, ‘What’s wrong with that kid?’ — and here he is causing people to think differently about their lives. That’s the power of filmmaking, and I think that’s the power of documentaries.”
Although Sundance films are not rated, "Life According to Sam" would likely receive a PG rating.
Jamshid Ghazi Askar is a graduate of BYU's J. Reuben Clark Law School and member of the Utah State Bar. Contact him at email@example.com or 801-236-6051.
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- The Clean Cut: Two popular YouTube singers...
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes first...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- First trailer for 'Night at the Museum:...
- A dozen children's books I could read every day
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 15
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Elegant Louvre Garden in Paris infested... 1
- Behind the scenes of the Utah... 1