Balancing act: Teamwork is challenging — on the field or in the office
Newsroom arguments are fairly common in the world of journalism, which seems to attract people who have strong opinions and a willingness to express them. However, reporters and editors generally don't take arguments personally ... at least, not for long. And many times, the "verbal confrontations" I saw or participated in led to new ideas and a better result than would have been achieved if everyone involved would have kept quiet and seethed.
Obviously arguments have the potential to cross a line, and physical confrontations should never occur at work. I also see how playing the "blame game" or spreading rumors could poison an office environment and make people long for the peace and quiet of a solo job.
But even considering such potential challenges of teams, I still prefer working with others to working alone. There's nothing better than pulling together with a group of people to overcome obstacles and achieve something bigger and more significant than you could have done on your own.
Such team accomplishments really do feel almost like a victory in a sporting event. Maybe they don't rise to the level of winning the Super Bowl, but at least you're unlikely to run the risk of getting flattened by a 320-pound lineman when you're sitting in your cubicle.
Frankly, that's a trade-off I'm more than willing to make.
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- 6 ways to jump-start your savings account
- 9 things we routinely overpay for
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4