Balancing act: Teamwork is challenging — on the field or in the office
Newsroom arguments are fairly common in the world of journalism, which seems to attract people who have strong opinions and a willingness to express them. However, reporters and editors generally don't take arguments personally ... at least, not for long. And many times, the "verbal confrontations" I saw or participated in led to new ideas and a better result than would have been achieved if everyone involved would have kept quiet and seethed.
Obviously arguments have the potential to cross a line, and physical confrontations should never occur at work. I also see how playing the "blame game" or spreading rumors could poison an office environment and make people long for the peace and quiet of a solo job.
But even considering such potential challenges of teams, I still prefer working with others to working alone. There's nothing better than pulling together with a group of people to overcome obstacles and achieve something bigger and more significant than you could have done on your own.
Such team accomplishments really do feel almost like a victory in a sporting event. Maybe they don't rise to the level of winning the Super Bowl, but at least you're unlikely to run the risk of getting flattened by a 320-pound lineman when you're sitting in your cubicle.
Frankly, that's a trade-off I'm more than willing to make.
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Dave Ramsey says: Time shares can limit...
- Who should be listed on your car insurance?
- Alicia Keys is asking a simple question to...
- How much of your paycheck do you take home?
- Why one inner-city kid didn't sell drugs to...
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you money
- Balancing act: Do you love your boss, or is...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Why starting a garden doesn't save you... 17
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Customers wait all night, get new iPhone 6 5
- Review: Larger iPhones eliminate reason... 1
- Private actions are company business 1
- Alicia Keys is asking a simple question... 1
- Americans aren't confident about their... 1