Laura Seitz, Deseret News
You can now get a degree cheaper and by taking no college classes, according to a report from Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker.
It allows students the ability to receive a degree based on competency rather than class time or credit. This is done through tests. When a student feels he can complete a test, he can take it, regardless of class time.
“Students can demonstrate college-level competencies — no matter where they learned the material — as soon as they can prove that they know it,” according to the report.
The price reduction is currently unknown, but should reduce net tuition. Current in-state tuition at the University of Wisconsin is $6,900 a year on average.
The lower cost can come due to the accelerated time of completion, a more affordable online model and grants from federal, state, private and work force development grants.
“Leaders from across the state have agreed to collaborate to make this model of education as affordable as possible without sacrificing quality,” according to the report.
University of Wisconsin is unique in offering bachelor’s degrees through this method. Previously, schools like Northern Arizona University offered competency-based credits in associate’s degrees such as nursing and business, according to an article by The Wall Street Journal.
The main focus for the program is to help Wisconsin’s work force, David Giroux, university spokesman, told The Wall Street Journal. Twenty percent of Wisconsin adult residents have some college credits but no degree. The program could encourage completion of those degrees.
- 50 highest paying jobs in Utah
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- Want that new gadget? Here are some ways to...
- How to get the best deals this fall
- 7 reasons why millennials are unemployed and...
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know
- How to be a billionaire
- 7 reasons why millennials are... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 8
- 4 things you don't want your boss to know 6
- Work is sometimes the best medicine 3
- Something that may have caused the... 3
- How to be a billionaire 3
- 5 reasons to be optimistic about the... 2
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to... 2