Entrepreneurial aspirations for kids remain high, especially among children of business owners
Ravell Call, Deseret News
In today's world and economy, starting a business can be riskier than ever before, but can also come with greater payoff than expected — a entrepreneurial mindset is sinking with children across the country, especially for those with business owners as parents, according to a recent Gallup study.
More than four in 10 fifth- to 12th-grade students in the U.S. say they plan to start a business of their own — 43 percent. The number of kids with entrepreneurial aspirations remained this high throughout 2012, according to Gallup data.
Forty-two percent of the students reported that they "will invent something that changes the world," in 2012, the same percentage that said they would in 2011.
Girls were more likely to say they plan to start their own businesses with 46 percent over 40 percent. However, 45 percent of boys said they will invent something world-changing, in comparison with 40 percent of girls who said the same.
Real-world entrepreneurial experience was a factor leading to more students believing they would open a business — especially those whose parents are business owners, which was about a third of the students.
Of those who were surveyed, 59 percent of kids reported that their school offers classes in how to start and run a business — up from 50 percent in 2011; only 7 percent, however, reported currently interning with local businesses for experience.
In December of 2012, Cosmoloan published a list of ten kid entrepreneurs to watch for in coming years — all with growing and successful businesses. Ashley Qualls, who started whateverlife.com, has already made millions with her website for "MySpace layouts and HTML tutorials."
Mandy Morgan is an intern for the Deseret News, reporting on issues surrounding both family and values in the media. She is a true-blue Aggie, studying Journalism and Political Science at Utah State University, and hails from Highland, Utah.
- In speech, Trump to ramp up critique of...
- Nearly 1 in 3 on Medicare got commonly abused...
- Obama administration decries judge's fracking...
- Dems stage election-year sit-in on guns, GOP...
- House Democrats cheer Clinton in first...
- Capsule full of space station junk makes...
- Trump launches broad attack on Clinton's record
- Dump Trump movement preparing fight at GOP...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Dems stage election-year sit-in on... 46
- In need of help, Trump finds few... 35
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 32
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to... 30
- Trump, in Scotland, links Brexit vote... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25