"The last two years, in the world championships, the first day has been kind of rocky," said Shimabukuro. "She might have had one good race and one shaky race, but the second day she came out swinging. So I knew she could have a much better day today."
Richardson edged defending sprint champion Jing Yu, China, who was fourth in the 1000-meters and earned 148.280 points. Korea's Sang-Hwa Lee won the 500 meter race and set a new track record with a time of 36.99. She was third in the overall with 148.560 points.
On the men's side, Michel Mulder, the Netherlands, won the overall sprint title with 136.790, which is also a world record. Pekka Koskela, Finland, was second, while Mulder's teammate, Hein Otterspeer, was third.
"It was mentally really hard," said an emotional Mulder. "It's one of the hardest competitions mentally, and I made it through. It it was giving me some headaches yesterday, but I was really happy I made it in the end."
U.S. skater Mitchell Whitmorre was 12th in the overall points with 138.135.
Otterspeer won the 1000-meters with a time of 1:07.97, while Joji Kato won the 500 for the second straight day with a time of 34.29.
Richardson said she was still trying to process her win.
"This is so exciting," she said smiling. "I'm glad I was able to hold onto it. (Coach) knew today wasn't going to be easy for me. He said I had to stay tough, and I think I did that well."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 97
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 79
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 64
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 50
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 47
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43