Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The mucky inversion gave way to a snow storm Sunday, leaving more than a foot of freshly fallen white in some places and slick road conditions throughout the rest of northern Utah.
A winter storm warning remained in effect for the areas surrounding the Wasatch Mountains and Cache Valley through at least mid-day Monday, with heavy snow and colder temperatures abounding, according to the National Weather Service. Snow is expected to make a presence in the forecast at least through Wednesday, with winds picking up Tuesday, resulting in colder overnight temperatures.
An avalanche watch was issued for the Logan area mountains Sunday afternoon, where new snow was layering a weakened wet layer, according to the Utah Avalanche Center.
Some flights in and out of the Salt Lake City International Airport were delayed due to the storm, and schedules were somewhat slowed by the de-icing process, said airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann.
She said the airport was operating on standard winter weather procedures, alternating runway closures to clear snow intermittently, but that the facility was up and running throughout the storm.
Visibility was poor on all roadways, with Utah Department of Transportation posting updates on road closures and accidents on its Twitter page.
A winter weather advisory was also in effect for the rest of the state Sunday.
- Carbon County deputy saves father, son from...
- Sugar House man intends to sue police, city...
- Fire rips through Orem structure under...
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911 calls...
- Grading Utah schools, 2014: Top 20 highest...
- Police: Vernal woman arrested with car full...
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Woman killed in Sandy shooting
- Majority of Utahns oppose moving state... 51
- Prison relocation sites down to four as... 50
- Obama signature all that's left in... 39
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 35
- Popular Utah County water recreation... 21
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utahns favor Count My Vote and SB54,... 15
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 15