Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The mucky inversion gave way to a snow storm Sunday, leaving more than a foot of freshly fallen white in some places and slick road conditions throughout the rest of northern Utah.
A winter storm warning remained in effect for the areas surrounding the Wasatch Mountains and Cache Valley through at least mid-day Monday, with heavy snow and colder temperatures abounding, according to the National Weather Service. Snow is expected to make a presence in the forecast at least through Wednesday, with winds picking up Tuesday, resulting in colder overnight temperatures.
An avalanche watch was issued for the Logan area mountains Sunday afternoon, where new snow was layering a weakened wet layer, according to the Utah Avalanche Center.
Some flights in and out of the Salt Lake City International Airport were delayed due to the storm, and schedules were somewhat slowed by the de-icing process, said airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann.
She said the airport was operating on standard winter weather procedures, alternating runway closures to clear snow intermittently, but that the facility was up and running throughout the storm.
Visibility was poor on all roadways, with Utah Department of Transportation posting updates on road closures and accidents on its Twitter page.
A winter weather advisory was also in effect for the rest of the state Sunday.
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- 'We're not going to stop'
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 12