Laura Seitz, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The mucky inversion gave way to a snow storm Sunday, leaving more than a foot of freshly fallen white in some places and slick road conditions throughout the rest of northern Utah.
A winter storm warning remained in effect for the areas surrounding the Wasatch Mountains and Cache Valley through at least mid-day Monday, with heavy snow and colder temperatures abounding, according to the National Weather Service. Snow is expected to make a presence in the forecast at least through Wednesday, with winds picking up Tuesday, resulting in colder overnight temperatures.
An avalanche watch was issued for the Logan area mountains Sunday afternoon, where new snow was layering a weakened wet layer, according to the Utah Avalanche Center.
Some flights in and out of the Salt Lake City International Airport were delayed due to the storm, and schedules were somewhat slowed by the de-icing process, said airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann.
She said the airport was operating on standard winter weather procedures, alternating runway closures to clear snow intermittently, but that the facility was up and running throughout the storm.
Visibility was poor on all roadways, with Utah Department of Transportation posting updates on road closures and accidents on its Twitter page.
A winter weather advisory was also in effect for the rest of the state Sunday.
- Martin MacNeill cuts self with razor in...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Orem man accused of killing wife threatened...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 106
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 26
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19