Utah Jazz avenge themselves in thrilling overtime win over the Indiana Pacers (+video)
George Hill kept the nutty night going by drilling a 3-pointer with 2.2 seconds to go in overtime, bringing Indiana to within a bucket at 112-110.
Adding one last moment of madness, Millsap's inbounds pass glanced off the backboard before rattling around the court back into his hands.
The Pacers thought they should've gotten the ball, but the referees ruled that the pass hit the bottom of the backboard instead of the back. Indiana had fouled Millsap before play was stopped, and the Jazz forward eventually sank a pair of clutch freebies with 1.4 remaining.
Exhale, avenged squad.
After erasing an eight-point lead in the final 1:42 of regulation and nearly overcoming Utah's six-point edge with 30 seconds left in OT, the Pacers' comeback bids finally came to a screeching halt, giving fans even more to scream about.
"We showed a lot of heart and a lot of character," Millsap said. "Last night, we fell but we still realized what we needed to do and come out and be aggressive and that's how we played tonight — with aggression."
Neither team seemed to be able to hold onto the ball in the final moments of regulation and overtime, which ultimately played in the Jazz's favor.
Holding a tenuous four-point lead late in overtime, Utah ended up getting three chances before Jefferson made an important basket with 34.7 seconds remaining. The Jazz had the ball for about a full minute, though. First, three Pacers under the basket couldn't grasp one rebound. Earl Watson then leaped into the stands to throw the ball off of D.J. Augustin out of bounds. Big Al ended the crazy, extended possession by following Millsap's missed jumper with a strong drive.
That gave the Jazz a six-point lead — but not any time to relax or celebrate.
"It was a long game. As long as we win, it doesn't matter," said Watson, who had several important hustle plays and five assists. "I love to play basketball, so the more time on the court means more fun and more opportunities to compete."
More time to be part of the craziness, too.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- Ranking the best point guards in the NBA...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 282
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 92
- Things won't get any easier for... 67
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 53
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 33
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31