Linsey Craig, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University swept through all 10 weight classes in perfect fashion, recording a 39-0 win over Northern Colorado in a Western Wrestling Conference dual Saturday night. It marks the first time in program history the Wolverines have shutout an opponent in a dual.
"I've said before that I really like this team and I really like their work ethic — especially this week heading into this match," UVU head coach Greg Williams said.
Williams also said it was a total team effort.
"It was an overall team performance and we feel like everyone went out there and handled their business. We've still got a lot of things to work on, but I'm really pleased with the way the guys are wrestling and the progress we're making," he said.
Garner opened the night with a 10-1 major decision win over Nick Adams before Wilson was dominant throughout the 149 pound match. After Wilson picked up an early takedown, he cut Nick Alspaugh loose before another takedown gave him an early 4-1 lead. Wilson then picked up four, 3-point near falls to end the match with a 17-1 win by tech fall (2:24).
Chase Cuthbertson notched a tough 11-8 decision over Mitchell Polkowske to give UVU a 12-0 lead after three bouts. Cook then recorded the first pin for the Wolverines, ending the match at 2:11 against Iver Sandoval. The next four matches saw decision wins for Utah Valley, starting with Monte Schmalhaus' 8-2 victory over Jesse Neilsen.
Derek Thomas earned a 10-4 win over Keith Johnson at 184 pounds before David Prieto kept the Wolverines perfect on the night with an overtime win against Cody McAninch. After holding off a late takedown attempt by McAninch in regulation, Prieto scored a takedown early in the first sudden victory frame to secure the win.
At 285 pounds, Adam Fager picked up a 5-2 decision to defeat Henry Chirino and gave UVU a 30-0 lead.
Jade Rauser earned his second straight first-period fall after pinning his counterpart from Arizona State last week in 2:43. Rauser, the reigning Western Wrestling Conference co-wrestler of the week, bested last week's feat with a fall against Abe Fox just 1:26 into the bout.
Chasen Tolbert closed out the dual with a 9-4 decision of Sam Bauer to clinch to 10th, and final, victory of the night for Utah Valley.
The Wolverines will host a Pac-12 school for the second time this season next Friday night when Stanford comes to Orem. The dual is set to start at 7 p.m. MT in the PE Building.
Kellen Hiser is sports information assistant at Utah Valley University. For more information on Wolverine athletics, visit WolverineGreen.com.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Rodney Hood, Dante Exum highlight Utah Jazz...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield...
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven teams...
- BYU Cougars finish year with five ranked...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Wasatch Academy basketball coach Geno Morgan...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 100
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 83
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 52
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27