That 7-0 Laker start ballooned to a 15-4 lead just four minutes into the contest and eventually grew to 21 points.
Utah got within a bucket on a couple of occasions in each half, but the visitors, who had won eight of 10, never led and were outplayed in every facet.
Earl Watson and Favors connected on an impressive alley-oop play to cut L.A.'s lead to 61-58 in the third, but that small gap was short-lived.
The Lakers responded to Utah's 6-0 run with consecutive 3-pointers from Chris Duhon and World Peace (two), and the rare rout by the Lakers was on. L.A. took a nine-point lead into the fourth quarter and dominated the final 12 minutes, strangely looking like the powerful team it was supposed to be.
"They just outhustled us," Hayward said. "Their cuts were sharper, they seemed to get a lot of loose balls, a lot of second opportunities. They're too good for that, too talented."
Utah shot just 42 percent with only 16 assists, had one of its second-lowest offensive outputs of the season, got outrebounded 45-30 and was outscored 54-40 in the paint.
In other words, Corbin's worst-case scenario played itself out. The coach even said the Jazz's recent success against the Lakers — winning four straight, including the last two in L.A. — "means nothing" because they had to come out and do it again.
Which they didn't.
Not even against the recently lousy Lakers.
"This is a good club, man. They haven't played their best basketball just yet," Corbin said Friday morning. "But they're a veteran group that can get it going and if you think anything other than executing how you have to play against them to get a win, then you're setting yourself up for failure."
"They just outhustled us," Hayward added. "The aggressor usually wins, and they were definitely the aggressor tonight."
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27