Utah Jazz blown out by not-so-lowly Los Angeles Lakers, 102-84
That 7-0 Laker start ballooned to a 15-4 lead just four minutes into the contest and eventually grew to 21 points.
Utah got within a bucket on a couple of occasions in each half, but the visitors, who had won eight of 10, never led and were outplayed in every facet.
Earl Watson and Favors connected on an impressive alley-oop play to cut L.A.'s lead to 61-58 in the third, but that small gap was short-lived.
The Lakers responded to Utah's 6-0 run with consecutive 3-pointers from Chris Duhon and World Peace (two), and the rare rout by the Lakers was on. L.A. took a nine-point lead into the fourth quarter and dominated the final 12 minutes, strangely looking like the powerful team it was supposed to be.
"They just outhustled us," Hayward said. "Their cuts were sharper, they seemed to get a lot of loose balls, a lot of second opportunities. They're too good for that, too talented."
Utah shot just 42 percent with only 16 assists, had one of its second-lowest offensive outputs of the season, got outrebounded 45-30 and was outscored 54-40 in the paint.
In other words, Corbin's worst-case scenario played itself out. The coach even said the Jazz's recent success against the Lakers — winning four straight, including the last two in L.A. — "means nothing" because they had to come out and do it again.
Which they didn't.
Not even against the recently lousy Lakers.
"This is a good club, man. They haven't played their best basketball just yet," Corbin said Friday morning. "But they're a veteran group that can get it going and if you think anything other than executing how you have to play against them to get a win, then you're setting yourself up for failure."
"They just outhustled us," Hayward added. "The aggressor usually wins, and they were definitely the aggressor tonight."
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Perseverance pays off for Taele, a big...
- BYU football notebook: Running back position...
- Morning links: ESPN takes deep dive into Utah...
- Tempers flare in Jazz's physical overtime win...
- BYU football: This Nephi played a role in...
- Dick Harmon: Want drama? Storylines galore?...
- High school football: Parry's Power Guide for...
- College football: Utes climb to No. 5... 60
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 52
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 45
- ESPN's College GameDay is coming to... 34
- Utah Utes football: The California... 28
- After win, BYU looking to improve, get... 26
- Utes back in the college football... 26
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22