The Utah State men’s tennis team traveled to Las Vegas, Nev., on Friday where it lost to UNLV, 5-2. The Aggies lost all three doubles matches but won two singles matches during the day.
The teams started with doubles action as UNLV won all three matches to earn the point. At the first position, USU's tandem of senior Sven Poslusny and sophomore Marcus Fritz were defeated by UNLV's Ace Matias and Bernard Schoeman, 8-6. At the number two position, Tamas Batyi and Johannes Markel of UNLV took down junior Fredrik Peterson and sophomore Matt Sweet, 8-2. Doubles play finished out with USU juniors Brandon Nielsen and Andrew Whiting falling, 8-3, to UNLV's Gilad Berman and Carlos Di Laura at the third position.
At the No. 1 singles spot, Poslusny defeated Batyi in three sets (3-6, 6-3 1-0 (10-8)). At the No. 2 spot, Peterson fell to Charlie Alvarado in straight sets (6-3, 6-2). At the No. 3 spot, Fritz was defeated by Matias in straight sets (6-3, 6-0), and at the No. 4 spot, Sweet was taken down by Berman in straight sets (6-0, 6-1). USU's other singles victory came at the No. 5 spot as sophomore Curran Wearmouth defeated Schoeman in three sets (6-4, 3-6, 1-0 [10-8]). At the No. 6 spot, USU sophomore Tanner Dance lost to UNLV's Johannes Markel in straight sets (6-3, 6-0).
Utah State will remain in Las Vegas and take on Northern Arizona on Saturday, Jan. 26 at 11 a.m. (MT). USU’s next home match will be Wednesday, Feb. 6, against Weber State at the Sports Academy and Racquet Club in Logan. Play will begin at 12 pm.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 93
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33