Weber State looking to bounce back against Big Sky leader Montana
MISSOULA, Mont. — All great things, eventually and incontrovertibly, come to an end. For Weber State, that greatness — a perfect conference record and nine-game win streak — came to a close courtesy of a 17-6 run by Montana State on Thursday night.
Fortunately for the Wildcats (13-4, 8-1), who were led by Davion Berry’s 24 points in the 79-74 setback against the Bobcats, they have a chance to return the favor against Montana — winners of nine straight with, yes — you guessed it — a perfect conference record. Tipoff is set for Saturday at 7 p.m. at Dahlberg Arena in Missoula.
“The Montanas are the toughest trip of the year,” WSU coach Randy Rahe said. “They’re all tough — the Big Sky travel, trying to get to places. ... But (traveling to Montana is tough) primarily because they’re really good — both teams. That’s what really makes the trip tough.”
The defending Big Sky champion Grizzlies (13-4, 9-0) are currently tied for the fifth-longest winning streak in the nation and have won their last 20 Big Sky games. Montana is 8-1 at home, with its only loss occurring in double-overtime, behind Mathais Ward (15.5 points per game) and Kareem Jamar (14.4 ppg). Standout guard Will Cherry, who missed the first seven games from injury, is back in full swing and is averaging a bit more than 11 points per game.
The Grizzlies rank in the top three in nine statistical categories in the Big Sky. For Weber State, the game marks the midway point of the season and is the second of a four-game road swing.
Weber State (13-4, 8-1) at Montana (13-4, 9-0)
Saturday, 7 p.m.
Missoula, Dahlberg Arena
Radio: 106.9 FM
Online video: bigskytv.org
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Doug Robinson: Colorado-Utah: In the... 23