Have you ever been in the produce section of the grocery store and wondered not only what an item is, but how in the world someone would cook it? There are so many unique and new vegetables and fruits in grocery stores these days, but what they taste like and how they are used can be a mystery.
I love trying new things and adding variety to meals. One item I see often and was curious about was the portobello mushroom. These large caps are often used in place of the beef patty in a hamburger. They have a hearty, meaty taste and texture that is a great substitution for beef, but besides that, I hadn’t heard of any other ways to fix them.
I love mushrooms and use them in all types of recipes, but the large portobellos were still a mystery. I decided to branch out and take a chance, and I’m so glad I did. I found several recipes that stuffed the mushroom cap; however, I didn’t see the point of taking a low-fat and tasty mushroom and filling it with fattening ingredients. After some trial and error, I found the perfect way to make delicious and healthy stuffed portobellos. They can be used as a light meal or a side dish.
HEARTY PORTOBELLO CAPS
4 portobello mushroom caps
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 drops of sesame oil
2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons chopped green onions
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
Wipe clean the mushroom caps and then scrape out the gills and stem of the mushroom. Mix together the vinegar, olive oil and sesame oil. Brush all sides of the mushrooms. Place mushrooms on a broiler pan and broil on each side for about 5 minutes or until tender.
Mix together the tomatoes, parsley, onions, cheese and seasoning, then add the remaining oil mixture and stir well. Fill each of the mushroom caps and then broil for another 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- Davis County honor student arrested in deaths...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay unions...
- Sintra, Portugal, is a perfect combination of...
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on morality...
- 'Fast & Furious 6' is fast, furious and...
- Family, drug court graduation give mother...
- Stories behind viral Oklahoma tragedy photos...
- Hundreds of police officers attend...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay... 43
- Woman uses public punishment to teach a... 27
- Abused parents: Tykes deliver crushing... 12
- Abercrombie & Fitch CEO posts statement... 12
- Davis County honor student arrested in... 11
- Gallup poll shows shift in views on... 11
- Salt Lake City has highest rate of... 4
- 18-year-old musician dies after... 4