Chris Hicks: The final season of 'Scarecrow and Mrs. King' leads TV shows on DVD this week
Kate Jackson and Bruce Boxleitner’s ’80s series “Scarecrow and Mrs. King” is complete on DVD now with the release of Season 4.
“Scarecrow and Mrs. King: The Fourth and Final Season” (Warner, 1986-87, five discs, $39.98, 22 episodes). Jackson and Boxleitner return for a last round of escapades as the spy nicknamed “Scarecrow” and the homemaker that eventually became his partner, and in this season, his wife. Beverly Garland co-stars as Jackson’s mother.
There was also some off-camera drama this season when Jackson discovered she had a breast-cancer tumor, causing her to participate less in some of the episodes. But she still managed to direct one show in addition to her co-starring duties, and the plot lines escalating their romance and then keeping their marriage a secret from their superiors wraps things up nicely.
Guests this season include Wendie Malick, Dennis Haysbert, Blair Underwood and Howard Duff.
“The Men Who Built America” (History/Lionsgate/Blu-ray, 2012, three discs, $39.99, eight episodes, featurettes). Documentary miniseries chronicles the lives of the tycoons whose vision and innovation took America from the ravages of the Civil War to technological superiority during the dawn of the industrial age. Among those profiled are Andrew Carnegie, J.P. Morgan, Henry Ford, Cornelius Vanderbilt and John D. Rockefeller. Narrated by Campbell Scott. (Also on DVD, $29.98)
“Chris Hardwick: Mandroid” (Comedy Central/Paramount, 2012, $14.99, featurette). Hardwick’s stand-up comedy special focuses on all things nerdy, but like so many comics today, he’s also quite filthy.
“Iron Man: Armored Adventures: Season 2, Vol. 3” (Vivendi, 2012, $14.93, six episodes, artwork gallery). Episodes of the Nicktoons animated series.
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your kids to...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Erin Stewart: Should you teach your... 22
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail... 4
- After 8 years with no 'true increase'... 3
- First-timers and veterans among... 2
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1