Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
WEST JORDAN — First Sgt. Bryan Smethurst made some pretty special friends via letters and Skype last August while he was serving a nine-month deployment in Afghanistan with the Utah Air National Guard.
Children in Marci Law's third-grade class at Jordan Hills Elementary decided they wanted to get to know Smethurst, because he is their teacher's brother. Smethurst visited the class today after returning home from his deployment.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14