USU football: Will Davis to play in 2013 Senior Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 26
Utah State senior cornerback Will Davis is scheduled to participate in the 64th Senior Bowl at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., on Saturday, Jan. 26. The game will kickoff at 2 p.m. (MT) and will be televised nationally on the NFL Network.
Davis is the 17th Utah State player selected to the Senior Bowl since 1962 and the third in the past four years.
This year, Davis is the sixth Utah State player to be selected to play in an all-star game. Senior running back Kerwynn Williams played in the East-West Shrine Game, while senior wide receiver Matt Austin, senior tight end Kellen Bartlett, senior linebacker Bojay Filimoeatu and senior defensive tackle Al Lapuaho all were selected to play in the second annual Casino Del Sol All-Star Game.
Davis, a 6-foot-0, 186-pound cornerback from Spokane, Wash. (Central Valley HS/DeAnza College), was named a third-team All-American by CBSSports.com, a fourth-team All-American by Phil Steele and an honorable mention All-American by SI.com. He also earned first team All-Western Athletic Conference honors as a senior as he finished the 2012 season ranking tied for second in the nation in passes defended (1.69 pg) and tied for 17th nationally in interceptions (0.38 pg). Davis concluded the season with 17 pass breakups, three quarterback hurries, 4.5 tackles for loss and 64 total tackles (46-solo, 18-assist), as he ranked 35th in the WAC with 4.9 tackles per game.
As a senior, Davis registered five interceptions to rank as the most by a USU player since 2003, and those five picks came in consecutive games, which is the longest streak by a USU player since 1973. Davis also returned an interception 59 yards for a touchdown against Idaho, which was USU’s first pick-six since 2007. In all, Davis’ 100 interception return yards in 2012 rank tied for the seventh-most in a single-season in school history.
Davis, who was named the WAC’s Defensive Player of the Week twice in 2012, was the first player in 2012 to intercept Louisiana Tech quarterback Colby Cameron, who had an NCAA single-season record 444 pass attempts without an interception before being picked off by Davis.
The Senior Bowl is college football's premier senior showcase event, annually featuring the nation's best senior collegiate football stars and top NFL draft prospects on teams coached by NFL coaching staffs.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- Dick Harmon: BYU coaches will take the win...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- UVU men's soccer makes its program debut with...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- USU football: Aggies geared up to take on the...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48
- Enemy camp: What UConn media thinks... 41