USU football: Will Davis to play in 2013 Senior Bowl on Saturday, Jan. 26
Utah State senior cornerback Will Davis is scheduled to participate in the 64th Senior Bowl at Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala., on Saturday, Jan. 26. The game will kickoff at 2 p.m. (MT) and will be televised nationally on the NFL Network.
Davis is the 17th Utah State player selected to the Senior Bowl since 1962 and the third in the past four years.
This year, Davis is the sixth Utah State player to be selected to play in an all-star game. Senior running back Kerwynn Williams played in the East-West Shrine Game, while senior wide receiver Matt Austin, senior tight end Kellen Bartlett, senior linebacker Bojay Filimoeatu and senior defensive tackle Al Lapuaho all were selected to play in the second annual Casino Del Sol All-Star Game.
Davis, a 6-foot-0, 186-pound cornerback from Spokane, Wash. (Central Valley HS/DeAnza College), was named a third-team All-American by CBSSports.com, a fourth-team All-American by Phil Steele and an honorable mention All-American by SI.com. He also earned first team All-Western Athletic Conference honors as a senior as he finished the 2012 season ranking tied for second in the nation in passes defended (1.69 pg) and tied for 17th nationally in interceptions (0.38 pg). Davis concluded the season with 17 pass breakups, three quarterback hurries, 4.5 tackles for loss and 64 total tackles (46-solo, 18-assist), as he ranked 35th in the WAC with 4.9 tackles per game.
As a senior, Davis registered five interceptions to rank as the most by a USU player since 2003, and those five picks came in consecutive games, which is the longest streak by a USU player since 1973. Davis also returned an interception 59 yards for a touchdown against Idaho, which was USU’s first pick-six since 2007. In all, Davis’ 100 interception return yards in 2012 rank tied for the seventh-most in a single-season in school history.
Davis, who was named the WAC’s Defensive Player of the Week twice in 2012, was the first player in 2012 to intercept Louisiana Tech quarterback Colby Cameron, who had an NCAA single-season record 444 pass attempts without an interception before being picked off by Davis.
The Senior Bowl is college football's premier senior showcase event, annually featuring the nation's best senior collegiate football stars and top NFL draft prospects on teams coached by NFL coaching staffs.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- BYU volleyball: Cougars upset No. 1 Hawai'i...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- What are the chances? Breaking down NBA...
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16