Bus No. 2201, which can hold 84 passengers, was about three-quarters full and headed to Century Elementary when it crashed with the pickup on state Route 13 near 2400 North around 8 a.m., Box Elder School District Superintendent Ron Wolff said. The two vehicles were apparently driving close to the middle of the road when they collided.
"Speeds were not significant," Wolff said.
Three children complaining of neck, wrist and head injuries were transported to Brigham City Hospital for further examination. The drivers of the two vehicles were uninjured.
Wolff said the pickup did not have its lights on. Parents of the students involved were called and many of them drove their children to school. Others were taken on another bus.
Fog limited visibility to approximately 100 yards in Box Elder County.
The forecast calls for the possibility of rain Saturday, but the Utah Division of Air Quality continued to forecast unhealthy air conditions for Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, Tooele, Box Elder and Cache counties through the weekend.
KSL meteorologist Grant Weyman said a storm traveling east from California could lead to possible rain Saturday along the Wasatch Front followed by a forecast of snow Sunday night into Monday morning.
"This Sunday storm should really, really clean out the air," Weyman said.
He said the snowfall could continue through Tuesday.
The storm headed over from California could result in rain in St. George, possibly through Monday. Highs for the weekend in St. George were 55 degrees on Saturday and 56 degrees on Sunday.
Contributing: Shara Park and Kathryn May
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- About Utah: After 72 years, Keith Hottinger...
- Drunk driver crashes through West Valley...
- Hill Air Force Base employee killed in...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Ute Tribe sues Wasatch County over...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 118
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 90
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 29
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 29
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 27
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16