Voicemails to Manti Te'o from 'Lennay Kekua' raise more questions surrounding hoax
Disney-ABC, Lorenzo Bevilaqua, Associated Press
Voicemails to Manti Te'o of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo allegedly posing as Lennay Kekua were released today deepening the confusions already surrounding the circumstances of the hoax.
Te'o had an online relationship with Kekua that was revealed to be a hoax after he thought she died of cancer this past year.
Te'o was interviewed by Katie Couric, who played a series of voicemails from Kekua allegedly being voiced by Tuiasosopo.
In the first message, Kekua talks about her first chemotherapy session:
In the second message, a jealous Kekua thinks Te'o has a girlfriend in his room:
The third message was left on Sept. 11, 2012 the day before Kekua supposedly died:
Te'o made and received more than 1,000 calls totaling more than 500 hours to Kekua. Tuiasosopo's lawyer says that his client was the one posing as Kekua on the phone and was the sole perpetrator of the hoax.
Tuiasosopo has had formal vocal and dramatic training. He was president of his high school drama club, performs with a Christian band and auditioned last year for the TV talent show “The Voice.”
Ryan Carreon is a web editor for DeseretNews.com.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47