Voicemails to Manti Te'o from 'Lennay Kekua' raise more questions surrounding hoax
Disney-ABC, Lorenzo Bevilaqua, Associated Press
Voicemails to Manti Te'o of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo allegedly posing as Lennay Kekua were released today deepening the confusions already surrounding the circumstances of the hoax.
Te'o had an online relationship with Kekua that was revealed to be a hoax after he thought she died of cancer this past year.
Te'o was interviewed by Katie Couric, who played a series of voicemails from Kekua allegedly being voiced by Tuiasosopo.
In the first message, Kekua talks about her first chemotherapy session:
In the second message, a jealous Kekua thinks Te'o has a girlfriend in his room:
The third message was left on Sept. 11, 2012 the day before Kekua supposedly died:
Te'o made and received more than 1,000 calls totaling more than 500 hours to Kekua. Tuiasosopo's lawyer says that his client was the one posing as Kekua on the phone and was the sole perpetrator of the hoax.
Tuiasosopo has had formal vocal and dramatic training. He was president of his high school drama club, performs with a Christian band and auditioned last year for the TV talent show “The Voice.”
Ryan Carreon is a web editor for DeseretNews.com.
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 51
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 34
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 19