NAPERVILLE, Ill. — The Great West Conference track coaches have selected Utah Valley University as the favorite to repeat as both the men's and women's 2013 GWC indoor track & field champions, the conference office announced Thursday.
Utah Valley, which won its first men's and women's indoor titles last season after finishing as runner-up the previous three years, was a unanimous choice among the coaches with all five first-place votes on both the men's and women's side.
Houston Baptist finished second to the Wolverines in both polls with the Huskies tallying 18 points in the men's balloting and 19 points in the women's. Texas-Pan American was third in both polls with 15 points for the Broncs in the men's ranking and 16 points for the Bronc women.
NJIT finished with nine points for fourth place in the men's poll, while Chicago State followed closely with eight points. Rounding out the women's poll was Chicago State in fourth place with nine points, while NJIT garnered six points.
The 2013 GWC indoor track and field champions will be determined Feb. 23-24 when Houston Baptist hosts the conference meet at Houston.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 47
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27