UVU wrestling: Wolverines welcome WWC foe Northern Colorado on Saturday
Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — The Utah Valley University wrestling team will host its second conference dual Jan. 26 at 7 p.m. in the PE Building against the Northern Colorado Bears.
Live video and live results will be available by visiting WolverineGreen.com and clicking on the wrestling schedule.
This will be the third straight home dual for the Wolverines (2-2, 0-1 WWC), who are coming off a 26-15 win over Arizona State in comeback fashion.
Trailing ASU 15-6, twin brothers and redshirt freshmen, Jade (125 pounds) and Val Rauser (133), helped jumpstart the Wolverines as both pinned their respective opponents in the first period to give UVU an 18-15 advantage. Junior Avery Garner (141) and senior Josh Wilson (149) helped the Wolverines seal their first-ever victory over the Sun Devils with a respective decision and technical fall in the final two bouts.
Due to his quick and dominant performance over ASU's Dalton Miller, Jade Rauser was named the Co-Western Wrestling Conference Wrestler of the Week on Tuesday.
The Wolverines are 0-1 in WWC duals, having lost to No. 14 Wyoming 20-12 on Jan. 4.
About Northern Colorado: The Bears will be opening conference action against the Wolverines and are 1-4 overall in duals this season. UNC will make a stop in Grand Junction, Colo., on its way to Orem to face Colorado Mesa on Thursday night.
Northern Colorado is led by sophomore heavyweight Henry Chirino, a two-time high school state champion in Florida. Chirino also posts a record of 19-7 and is undefeated in duals this season at 5-0.
This will be the 13th time the schools will meet on the mat. UNC holds a slight 7-5 all-time advantage, but UVU has won three of the last four contests.
Up Next for the Wolverines: UVU will round out its four-dual homestand against Pac-12 Conference member Stanford on Friday, Feb. 1. After which, the Wolverines will head to the Dakotas to take on South Dakota State on Feb. 6 and North Dakota State on Feb. 8.
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz remain in...
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- Results from Tuesday's high school softball,...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi edges...
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Utah high school updated tournament pairings...
- BYU football: Fan-developed software gives...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 16
- Dick Harmon: BYU coach Mike Littlewood... 15
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 11
- If hired, Jeff Hornacek will face same... 10
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8