Asked if he had an opinion about the ongoing Utah debate whether to rename Dixie State College, Jackson said he was not familiar with the background of the issue. However, he noted that the Confederacy lost two wars, one in 1865 and another in 2012, an apparent reference to President Obama's re-election.
"A more perfect union won over states' rights. One should not be flying flags of the loser," said Jackson, founder and president of the civil rights organization Rainbow/PUSH. "We chose a union of states, a more perfect union. I hope the people will choose the American flag over the Confederate flag."
The nation’s remaining civil rights struggles are ongoing and will not be overcome until all are in "the tent," he said.
"The American promise is one big tent, everybody in and nobody out. Equal protection under the law is the American promise. Equal opportunity is the American promise," Jackson said.
Those living in poverty are especially vulnerable, he said, noting that most poor Americans are young white females.
"Most poor people aren't on welfare. They work every day and they can't make ends meet. People who are poor often do not realize their potential and their potential is lost," he said.
The solutions to overcoming poverty, he said, include educating more children, creating greater productivity, stabilizing homes and making the economy grow.
Jackson's visit to Utah included lunch at LDS Church headquarters with Elder L. Tom Perry and Elder Quentin L. Cook, members of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, representing the church's Public Affairs Committee, said Scott Trotter, spokesperson for the church.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- U.K. doctors embrace e-cigarettes as U.S....
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Utah can't arrest its way out of heroin, pain...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21