BYU football: Brayden Kearsley re-commits to BYU after nearly choosing Oregon State
“I want get there and bust my hump like I never have before,” he said. “I plan on being aggressive in every drill and bringing a nasty attitude, but in a good way. I love coach Anae and I love coach (Garrett) Tujague, and I can’t wait to play for those guys."
Kearsley is also anxious to please loyal BYU fans — many of whom grew frustrated with him during the recruiting process and let their feelings be known. Kearsley retains an active Twitter account and became keenly aware of how attitudes toward him had shifted.
"I don't think fans understand what it's like for a young 17-year-old kid to receive all the attention I have throughout the process," he said. "Every kid is different, but I truly think I needed to back away from BYU to the point where I all but decided to sign with Oregon State to be truly committed. It's hard to explain, but after everything I've been through and after seriously considering other schools, I feel much more committed to BYU than I was when I originally committed there."
Kearsley believes he'll be signing with a program on the rise whose best days are ahead.
"I want to be part of BYU because I truly believe we’re going to be scary good in a few years if not immediately," he said. "Coach Mendenhall is always going to have a top defense, and we just need to get going on offense to match what they do on defense. Coach Anae and Tujague are the right guys to get the offense going and playing at the level the defense does. I want to be a part of that and help out wherever I can — hopefully immediately.”
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49