BYU football: Brayden Kearsley re-commits to BYU after nearly choosing Oregon State
“I want get there and bust my hump like I never have before,” he said. “I plan on being aggressive in every drill and bringing a nasty attitude, but in a good way. I love coach Anae and I love coach (Garrett) Tujague, and I can’t wait to play for those guys."
Kearsley is also anxious to please loyal BYU fans — many of whom grew frustrated with him during the recruiting process and let their feelings be known. Kearsley retains an active Twitter account and became keenly aware of how attitudes toward him had shifted.
"I don't think fans understand what it's like for a young 17-year-old kid to receive all the attention I have throughout the process," he said. "Every kid is different, but I truly think I needed to back away from BYU to the point where I all but decided to sign with Oregon State to be truly committed. It's hard to explain, but after everything I've been through and after seriously considering other schools, I feel much more committed to BYU than I was when I originally committed there."
Kearsley believes he'll be signing with a program on the rise whose best days are ahead.
"I want to be part of BYU because I truly believe we’re going to be scary good in a few years if not immediately," he said. "Coach Mendenhall is always going to have a top defense, and we just need to get going on offense to match what they do on defense. Coach Anae and Tujague are the right guys to get the offense going and playing at the level the defense does. I want to be a part of that and help out wherever I can — hopefully immediately.”
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: NBA post-up is not dead;...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- High school All-Sports awards: Davis, Maple...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 47
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 45
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 33
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 19
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 11
- Live streams: 5A & 4A state baseball... 7