High school basketball: Morgan beats Stansbury 71-50, wins 10th in a row
STANSBURY PARK — Jake Miles and the 3A number one Morgan Trojans traveled to Stansbury Wednesday night to take on the Stansbury Stallions in a Region 11 showdown. The Stallions were coming off a big win against their rivals, the Grantsville Cowboys, while Morgan was riding a nine-game winning streak. The Trojans were able to come out on top for their 10th win in a row, beating Stansbury 71-50. Miles led all scorers with 19 points, while Stone Tia and Ryan Robbins scored 16 each for Stansbury.
“My teammates were hitting their shots out there,” said Miles. “They were playing really well, and I didn’t really need to score tonight.”
Miles only scored 19 points, but he was able to get key contributions from several of his teammates. Lantzen Toomer scored seven points and also dished out nine assists, while Cameron Skinner and Bridger Streadbeck each scored 10 points for the Trojans.
“They really played awesome,” said Miles. “It’s fun to see your teammates play well like that. It was a fun game.”
Morgan was able to get off to a fast start, gaining a 23-15 lead after the first quarter, and was able to extend the lead to 44-27 by halftime.
Tia scored 14 of his 16 points in the first half for Stansbury, including a season high four three pointers. Tia came off the bench for the second time this season.
Morgan pulled even further ahead heading into the fourth, leading 59-36. The Trojans dominated the Stallions on the defensive end and were able to get just about anything that they wanted offensively.
Morgan is ranked number one in 3A and hopes to continue its hot play into the playoffs. Although the Trojans are playing well, they know that they have to keep their focus.
“It’s all about defense,” said Miles. “If we can hold teams down to around 50, we can win. It all starts on that defensive end.”
The Trojans won their 10th game in a row and move to 15-2 on the season. They will host Ben Lomond on Friday. The Stallions drop to 6-12 on the year and will host their rival Tooele on Friday.
CJ Pronk is a Deseret Digital Media intern and a senior at Stansbury High School. Follow him on Twitter @BigCeeJ3113
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Jennifer Hamson to lace it up for BYU one...
- Penn State sweeps BYU for a record seventh...
- Injured Tyler Haws could play when BYU hosts...
- Dick Harmon: Execution, not words, will crown...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- The Cougars and their coach's ’stache...
- Utah State caps historic season with win over...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 61
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 40
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28