Initiative encourages 'real' Utah women to run for office, seek service on boards
"We still have a long way to go, don't we? At the YWCA, at least, we think every woman has the potential to be a leader. Women leaders are a powerful source for good," Burkholder said.
But unlike men, many women need to be asked — if not encouraged — to seek public office, she said.
"Sometimes it's much easier to begin public service by being appointed to a board or commission or running for school board or community council," Burkholder said.
"You don't need to run for Congress the first time out of the gate."
While much of McAleer's life has been devoted to service, running for political office "wasn't on the radar screen" until she attended what she describes as the Real Woman Run boot camp.
"Sometime you need that catalyst or a spark. When I went to Real Women Run and the more I listened, I started thinking, 'I can do this. I believe in public service. That (military) oath doesn't expire.' That is what inspired me."
* * *
Real Women Run
What: Free networking social
When: 5:30-7 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 24
Where: YMCA Center for Families, 310 E. 300 South
Who: Women interested in running for public office, working on political campaigns or serving on public boards and commissions
To register, call Robin Pratt at 801-537-8606 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 99
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 52
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 34
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 26
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24