PROVO, Utah — The No. 17 BYU men’s track and field team will try to move up in the rankings this weekend, sending athletes to compete at the Air Force Invitational on Jan. 24-26 and the Washington Invitational on Jan. 25-26.
“This will be a very good test for us this week and a good opportunity to improve,” head coach Mark Robison said. “There will be good competition at both meets and our guys will have the chance to compete in some really nice facilities. We hope to see some improvements over last week’s results.”
Things will start off in Colorado on Thursday with the men’s heptathlon. At the BYU Invitational two weeks ago, Chase Dalton took first in the event with 4,831 points. Isaac Robison came in second with 4,686.
Along with the other BYU sprinters, Cade Lindahl, will compete Friday and Saturday at the Air Force Invitational. Lindahl took fourth in the 400-meter dash in Albuquerque last week with a time of 48.18 seconds.
In the pole vault, Braydon Bringhurst and Victor Weirich will aim to make improvements. Bringhurst won the event at last week’s Cherry & Silver Invitational with a vault of 16-08.75, although his season-best of 17-00.75 was set at the BYU Invitational. Weirich, who has been recovering from an ankle injury, took fifth place in Albuquerque with a mark of 16-02.75 on a short approach. He will compete this weekend as he aims to get back to full form before the national meet.
Many of BYU’s distance runners will make the trip to Seattle to compete in the Washington Invitational. Tommy Gruenewald has the best mile time for the Cougars so far this season, recording a time of 4:05.98 at the BYU Invitational earlier this year. Jared Ward is the Cougars’ leader in the 3,000-meter run, after running the event in 8:11.79 at the BYU Invitational.
Check the BYU men’s track and field home page for results at the end of each day of competition.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for Jabari...
- BYU football adds California DL Kainoa Fuiava...
- BYU basketball: First-grader given royal blue...
- Defense, rebounding, big second half propels...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired assistant...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State, 71-69
- Live stream: High school drill team state...
- High school football: Bountiful High coach...
- Morning links: Which Utah school has... 92
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 85
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 80
- BYU football: 2016 recruiting class... 42
- College football signing day central:... 34
- Morning links: Ty Detmer plays ping... 32
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 32
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29