PROVO, Utah — The No. 17 BYU men’s track and field team will try to move up in the rankings this weekend, sending athletes to compete at the Air Force Invitational on Jan. 24-26 and the Washington Invitational on Jan. 25-26.
“This will be a very good test for us this week and a good opportunity to improve,” head coach Mark Robison said. “There will be good competition at both meets and our guys will have the chance to compete in some really nice facilities. We hope to see some improvements over last week’s results.”
Things will start off in Colorado on Thursday with the men’s heptathlon. At the BYU Invitational two weeks ago, Chase Dalton took first in the event with 4,831 points. Isaac Robison came in second with 4,686.
Along with the other BYU sprinters, Cade Lindahl, will compete Friday and Saturday at the Air Force Invitational. Lindahl took fourth in the 400-meter dash in Albuquerque last week with a time of 48.18 seconds.
In the pole vault, Braydon Bringhurst and Victor Weirich will aim to make improvements. Bringhurst won the event at last week’s Cherry & Silver Invitational with a vault of 16-08.75, although his season-best of 17-00.75 was set at the BYU Invitational. Weirich, who has been recovering from an ankle injury, took fifth place in Albuquerque with a mark of 16-02.75 on a short approach. He will compete this weekend as he aims to get back to full form before the national meet.
Many of BYU’s distance runners will make the trip to Seattle to compete in the Washington Invitational. Tommy Gruenewald has the best mile time for the Cougars so far this season, recording a time of 4:05.98 at the BYU Invitational earlier this year. Jared Ward is the Cougars’ leader in the 3,000-meter run, after running the event in 8:11.79 at the BYU Invitational.
Check the BYU men’s track and field home page for results at the end of each day of competition.
Mason Porter is a Sports Information Director for BYU Athletic Communications. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Prognosticating, for fun, a bright BYU...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27