The Zags are even better than they were a year ago, thanks to the addition of 7-footer Kelly Olynyk, a junior from Canada who redshirted last season. He's averaging 18 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.
"We've got to make him take tough shots and earn everything," Haws said of Olynyk. "We've got to make it tough on him all night."
"Olynyk is the biggest difference for them," Zylstra said. "He's a big man that can shoot the ball, but he's rugged, and he can also score near the hoop."
Rose is impressed with Olynyk's size and skill level.
"He's a great perimeter shooter," Rose said. "What he really does well is track down balls really well. He has great timing and a good feel for rebounding his own miss and rebounding others and his ability to stretch the defense."
The Cougars will also have their hands full with forward Elias Harris (14.9 ppg, 6.9 rpg). Meanwhile, sophomore guard Kevin Pangos averages 12.1 points per game.
"He's a really good player," Carlino said of Pangos. "Last year, I didn't get to guard him. Hopefully this year I'll get to guard him a little bit more. It will be a fun matchup."
Cougars on the air
BYU (15-5, 5-1) at No. 10 Gonzaga (17-2, 4-0)
McCarthey Athletic Center, Spokane, Wash.
9 p.m. MST
Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- BYU basketball report card: Cougars give...
- Report: German president boycotting Sochi...
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher out BCS...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 89
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 43
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 42
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass,... 27