No Sunday finish for expanded Utah State Amateur golf tournament
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The annual Utah State Amateur golf tournament will undergo several changes this year, including an expansion of the match-play field to 64 and a Saturday finish.
For several decades, the tournament has included a 32-player field for match play with the tournament ending on Sunday.
Utah Golf Association Executive Director Bill Walker said the changes were finalized at the recent UGA Board of Directors meeting in St. George and will be implemented at this year’s 115th consecutive tournament at Soldier Hollow Golf Course in Midway.
The tournament will begin on Monday, July 8, and end on Saturday, July 13. The match play field will be expanded from 32 to 64, which will require an extra day of competition. In the past, the tournament was played from Wednesday to Sunday.
“The UGA board feels that the strength of field has increased enough over the years to expand the match play portion to 64 players and that it will give more players an opportunity to experience match play without diluting the quality,” said UGA President John Taylor.
As for the change in days, State Am chairman Steve Brinton said, “The board changed to a Saturday finish primarily to lessen the burden the tournament imposes on host clubs for their weekend play and to give the tournament a make-up day in case of weather delays.''
Another change will be a requirement for all participants who qualify for the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals to walk and not use carts. The annual Champions Breakfast will be held on Thursday before the round of 32.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @sorny8
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- Rock On: Utah has LeBron Syndrome
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 224
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 75
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 61
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 53
- ACC media days has some interesting... 42
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 34
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 31
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 24