No Sunday finish for expanded Utah State Amateur golf tournament
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The annual Utah State Amateur golf tournament will undergo several changes this year, including an expansion of the match-play field to 64 and a Saturday finish.
For several decades, the tournament has included a 32-player field for match play with the tournament ending on Sunday.
Utah Golf Association Executive Director Bill Walker said the changes were finalized at the recent UGA Board of Directors meeting in St. George and will be implemented at this year’s 115th consecutive tournament at Soldier Hollow Golf Course in Midway.
The tournament will begin on Monday, July 8, and end on Saturday, July 13. The match play field will be expanded from 32 to 64, which will require an extra day of competition. In the past, the tournament was played from Wednesday to Sunday.
“The UGA board feels that the strength of field has increased enough over the years to expand the match play portion to 64 players and that it will give more players an opportunity to experience match play without diluting the quality,” said UGA President John Taylor.
As for the change in days, State Am chairman Steve Brinton said, “The board changed to a Saturday finish primarily to lessen the burden the tournament imposes on host clubs for their weekend play and to give the tournament a make-up day in case of weather delays.''
Another change will be a requirement for all participants who qualify for the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals to walk and not use carts. The annual Champions Breakfast will be held on Thursday before the round of 32.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @sorny8
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for Foul-A-Frenchie...
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 84
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22