No Sunday finish for expanded Utah State Amateur golf tournament
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The annual Utah State Amateur golf tournament will undergo several changes this year, including an expansion of the match-play field to 64 and a Saturday finish.
For several decades, the tournament has included a 32-player field for match play with the tournament ending on Sunday.
Utah Golf Association Executive Director Bill Walker said the changes were finalized at the recent UGA Board of Directors meeting in St. George and will be implemented at this year’s 115th consecutive tournament at Soldier Hollow Golf Course in Midway.
The tournament will begin on Monday, July 8, and end on Saturday, July 13. The match play field will be expanded from 32 to 64, which will require an extra day of competition. In the past, the tournament was played from Wednesday to Sunday.
“The UGA board feels that the strength of field has increased enough over the years to expand the match play portion to 64 players and that it will give more players an opportunity to experience match play without diluting the quality,” said UGA President John Taylor.
As for the change in days, State Am chairman Steve Brinton said, “The board changed to a Saturday finish primarily to lessen the burden the tournament imposes on host clubs for their weekend play and to give the tournament a make-up day in case of weather delays.''
Another change will be a requirement for all participants who qualify for the quarterfinals, semifinals and finals to walk and not use carts. The annual Champions Breakfast will be held on Thursday before the round of 32.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @sorny8
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 90
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 61
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 28