179 trips to the moon: House pressures Senate to create budget for first time in 1,365 days
Professor Sean Kelly told Bloomberg Businessweek in early January that after Congress banned earmarks in 2010, the appropriations process "melted down," because the ban provided less incentive for politicians to serve on appropriations committees. This, therefore, led to committees filled with more partisans and fewer pragmatists, Kelly said.
"There's a human element in lawmaking that is real," Tom Cole, R-Okla., said. Without earmarks, "You're removing all incentive for people to vote for things that are tough."
An economics21.org editorial published Wednesday said the debt limit crisis is actually a budget process crisis, and that despite suggestions to the contrary, budgets really do matter.
"One need only read Paul Krugman's insistence that the deficit problem has been solved to understand how critically important this effort really is. It is popular to criticize Chairman Ryan and the House leadership for failing to provide a 'balanced' solution to our fiscal problems, but at least they have the courage to acknowledge that a problem exists," the editorial said. "Those who deny the scale of the current U.S. fiscal crisis must either be innumerate, in denial about the damaging impact of debt overhang on economic growth, or attempting to cultivate ignorance in the belief that an honest assessment of the fact would lead to unwelcome policy changes. A budget resolution forces all parties to put their cards on the table and moves the debate form platitudes about 'balance' to the unpleasant arithmetic the Senate's attempted to avoid for nearly four years."
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but hold...
- Police, protesters collide again in Ferguson
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with hands up
- Texas Gov. Perry assembles high-powered legal...
- The Los Angeles Unified School District ducks...
- Want to increase attraction in your...
- No arrest for Texas Gov. Rick Perry but mug...
- Car crash in Argentina kills 3 relatives of pope
- Texas Gov. Perry says indictment is... 22
- 'Don't know' if Missouri teen shot with... 22
- Obama heading back to DC in rare... 20
- Texas' Perry indicted for coercion for... 19
- Police identify Missouri officer who... 16
- Police, protesters collide again in... 14
- Allow student loan bankruptcies, but... 14
- Emerging solar plants scorch birds in... 13