Twitter.com via @DesmondHinds2
BYU football recruit-turned LDS missionary Troy Hinds got to put some of his football knowledge to use in the mission field when he was introduced to former NFL quarterback Brett Favre by a mutual friend.
Hinds committed to BYU but elected to serve a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints before enrolling. He has been serving in Jackson, Miss., since July. Favre, who has been out of the NFL since 2010, currently coaches at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg.
A Twitter user with the handle @DesmondHinds2, tweeted a picture of Hinds and Favre:
@DesmondHinds2 later tweeted the following:
"Brett Favre is not the new Steve Martin. Let's not start any Favre is LDS rumors. Troy was able to meet him and chat football and church. :)"
In emails exchanged with the Deseret News, the Hinds family said @DesmondHinds2 is not a relative of the Hinds family, but rather is an individual falsely portraying himself as a relative on the Internet.
Furthermore, the Hinds family told the Deseret News that Troy Hinds did not discuss religion with Favre, but rather that they talked football, hunting and fishing.
The account @DesmondHinds2 has since been removed from Twitter.
Editor's note: This article has been modified from its original publication. In the original story, the Deseret News headline read that Hinds "tracted into" Brett Favre, which, according to the Hinds family, is not correct. The Hinds family told the Deseret News that he was introduced to Favre through a mutual friend. Additionally, the Deseret News printed that the person behind @DesmondHinds2 was an apparent relative, a statement the Hinds family said is not true.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @RyanCarrenon1
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 60
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 24