SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of shooting and killing one man and injuring another decided to forgo a hearing on the evidence against him scheduled to begin Wednesday.
Michael Eugene Vigil, 36, apparently made the decision in light of a proposed plea agreement that would require the man to plead guilty to two first-degree felonies. In exchange, prosecutors would recommend that he receive a sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole.
Vigil has been charged with aggravated murder and attempted aggravated murder, first-degree felonies, in connection with a July 28 shooting. Antonio Vasquez was killed in the incident.
Vasquez and another man, Lee Otero, were visiting Vigil's parents at 440 N. Grant St., when Vigil, who had just arrived at home, "came out the front door and shot Mr. Vasquez and then shot (Otero)," according to charging documents.
Vasquez was found dead from a gunshot wound in Vigil's yard. Vigil apparently pursued Otero, firing several rounds that struck vehicles and buildings along the street. Vigil surrendered when police arrived and Otero was hospitalized after being shot in the chest and arm.
Prosecutor Paul Parker said the number of eyewitnesses in the case means it is "not a (question of) whodunit." He said Vasquez's family is comfortable with the proposed plea agreement.
The motive for the shooting is still unclear. An arraignment hearing, in which Vigil is expected to enter his plea, has been set for Feb. 25.
Vigil is also charged with possession of a firearm by a restricted person, a second-degree felony.
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Utah State runner Brittany Fisher gaining...
- Airport TRAX ridership remains strong weeks...
- Early diagnosis may be key in slowing...
- Fly a flag for Cody: Army confirms Utah man...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 46
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 20
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 15
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 15
- Swallow headlines spark question:... 12