Morgan officer not justified in shooting, won't be prosecuted
MORGAN — The actions of a Morgan County police officer who shot a Colorado woman in the eye were not justified, but the officer will not be prosecuted, the Davis County Attorney's Office announced Tuesday.
While Sgt. Daniel Scott Peay lawfully and properly pursued Kristine Biggs, 41, who police say was fleeing from them while intoxicated on Nov. 26, the use of deadly force didn't "squarely fit" Supreme Court statute in the moment he pulled the trigger, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said.
Biggs, who had been stopped for a non-functioning headlight, was accused of leading police on a chase through Weber Canyon and then crashing the vehicle into police vehicles.
Rawlings said Peay believed he was "protecting life from an aggressor in a vehicle who was not going to stop" when he shot through the windshield, striking Biggs in the face.
The attorney's office believes Peay would not be convicted were the case to go to trial, Rawlings said.
Biggs was charged in 2nd District Court with two third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault and failure to respond to an officer's signal, as well as misdemeanor charges, including DUI. She pleaded guilty earlier this month to failure to respond to police commands and DUI. The other charges were dismissed.
Biggs is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 25.
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- West Nile activity discovered in four Utah...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Ogden police shoot dog that was allegedly...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising concerns...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 44
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 21
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Union Pacific train makes special... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 13
- Unaccompanied children from Central... 12