Morgan officer not justified in shooting, won't be prosecuted
MORGAN — The actions of a Morgan County police officer who shot a Colorado woman in the eye were not justified, but the officer will not be prosecuted, the Davis County Attorney's Office announced Tuesday.
While Sgt. Daniel Scott Peay lawfully and properly pursued Kristine Biggs, 41, who police say was fleeing from them while intoxicated on Nov. 26, the use of deadly force didn't "squarely fit" Supreme Court statute in the moment he pulled the trigger, Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said.
Biggs, who had been stopped for a non-functioning headlight, was accused of leading police on a chase through Weber Canyon and then crashing the vehicle into police vehicles.
Rawlings said Peay believed he was "protecting life from an aggressor in a vehicle who was not going to stop" when he shot through the windshield, striking Biggs in the face.
The attorney's office believes Peay would not be convicted were the case to go to trial, Rawlings said.
Biggs was charged in 2nd District Court with two third-degree felony counts of aggravated assault and failure to respond to an officer's signal, as well as misdemeanor charges, including DUI. She pleaded guilty earlier this month to failure to respond to police commands and DUI. The other charges were dismissed.
Biggs is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 25.
- What Utah voters need to know for the 2016...
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah, but lead...
- Two arrested in dangerous Taylorsville chase,...
- Celebrate July 4 at South Salt Lake Freedom...
- Logan toddler killed in driveway accident...
- UTA offers late TRAX, S-Line service for Utah...
- Dam project forces closure of Tibble Fork area
- Two arrested for allegedly siccing pit bull...
- Immigration ruling called hurtful, a... 75
- Nearly 70 percent of Utahns say Donald... 62
- Poll: Trump up over Clinton in Utah,... 43
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 28
- ACLU sues the state over inadequate... 26
- Utah GOP brings up father's bank... 25
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 25
- Rio Grande neighborhood 'more unsafe... 21