Shane Truskolaski, UVU Athletics
OREM, Utah — Utah Valley University 125-pound redshirt freshman Jade Rauser (Townsend, Mont./Broadwater HS) and Air Force Academy 133-pound sophomore Dylan Hyder (Yelm, Wash./Yelm HS) have been named Co-Western Wrestling Conference Wrestlers of the Week after both had outstanding performances on the mat last weekend. The weekly award was announced Tuesday by the league.
Rauser helped Utah Valley defeat Arizona State for the first time in school history by pinning his opponent last Friday.
With UVU trailing ASU 15-6 last Friday, Rauser helped the Wolverines turn things around by pinning the Sun Devils' Dalton Miller in 1:17. Rauser brought the standing-room-only crowd of 2,134 people to their feet with a quick takedown and pin of ASU's Miller to pull UVU to within 15-12 at the time. The redshirt freshman's pin started a rally in which the Wolverines went on to win the final four bouts of the dual, including three by bonus points, in UVU's 26-15 victory over ASU.
Rauser leads UVU with a 17-5 overall record and a perfect 4-0 mark in dual action. He also has seven wins by fall on the year.
Hyder helped lead the Falcons to a 3-0 record over the weekend, going undefeated in his three duals.
In AFA's 24-12 victory over Stanford, Hyder earned a 6-0 decision over Alex Manley. Against Menlo College, Hyder was Air Force's top scorer in a 37-3 win, pinning Zachary Johnson in a time of 1:28. Meanwhile, in the Falcons' 39-3 rout of Cal Poly on Sunday, Hyder earned his first win over a nationally ranked opponent this season, capturing a 4-3 victory over No. 20 Devon Lotito.
Hyder is now 12-10 on the season and 6-2 in duals.
The conference honor is both Rauser and Hyder's first of the season and first of their careers.
The Western Wrestling Conference, which is in its seventh year of competition, is comprised of six schools including the Air Force Academy, North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, South Dakota State, Utah Valley and Wyoming.
North Dakota State: Steven Monk, 165 pounds, Jr., (Wausau, Wis./Wausau West HS)
South Dakota State: Joe Brewster, 165 pounds, So., (Park Ridge, Ill./Maine South HS)
Wyoming: Tyler Cox, 125 pounds, So., (Gillette, Wyo./Campbell County HS)
James Warnick is an assistant sports information director at Utah Valley University. For more information about Wolverine athletics, visit www.WolverineGreen.com.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 85
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart... 32