Christopher Germano, AP
Getting a tax refund at the end of the year, though exciting, is a bad use of money, according to an article by Daily Finance.
The average tax refund is $2,700, according to CNBC. By overpaying in taxes for 12 months, you lose interest on that money that could be working for you. It’s like an interest-free loan to the government.
Loosing that money for 12 months is $225 less each monthly take-home. And while it might be thrilling to receive a refund at the end of the year, that money could help avoid financial struggles year round.
“If you are scrimping to get by and piling up debt throughout the year, but getting a large tax refund every spring, adjusting your withholding to get more money in each paycheck is a better way to go," said Greg McBride, senior financial analyst at Bankrate.com, to CNBC. "It will ease your financial burden and reduce your stress throughout the year."
Paying just enough taxes throughout the year is what an article from the Wall Street Journal suggests. But even though it is an advantage to have the money throughout the year, emotionally Americans prefer getting tax refunds because of the emotional boost it provides.
Overpaying taxes is also done to avoid unpleasant surprises at the end of the year. It is also the way some people save when they don’t trust themselves to put aside money. Emotionally, the Wall Street Journal found that Americans enjoy getting a refund more than extra money in a paycheck.
For those unable to save, overpaying in taxes can be a benefit to them, said Bob Meighan, the lead CPA for The American Tax & Financial Center at Turbo Tax.
“It's probably one of the only and best forced savings mechanisms for many low-income households because it does allow them to save without compromising on their regular take-home pay," Meighan said to CNBC.
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- Should you install your own kitchen cabinets?
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 6
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4