High school boys basketball: Lone Peak beats up Archbishop Mitty (Calif.) 81-46
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Lone Peak is tough to handle even when its players are not firing on all cylinders. When all players are operating at high levels, however, the No. 3 nationally ranked Knights have proved all but impossible to defeat. Archbishop Mitty learned just that, falling to Lone Peak 81-46 in the Spalding Hoophall Classic on Monday.
BYU commits Nick Emery, T.J. Haws and Eric Mika have received most of the hype, but it was Conner Toolson who stole this show in the rout. The senior guard hit all six of his 3-point attempts and finished with a team-high 22 points.
Emery and Haws contributed 20 and 18 points respectively while Mika added 10 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. Archbishop Mitty was led by 6-foot-8 forward Aaron Gordon and his 27 points. Gordon is rated as a five-star prospect by both Scout.com and Rivals.com and holds offers from Kentucky and Arizona — among other programs.
Gordon's efforts proved far too little for the visiting San Jose, Calif., powerhouse, however.
The Knights jumped on the Monarchs early and were deadly behind the arc — hitting on 13-of-24 3-point attempts. Lone Peak was also tenacious on the defensive end using its trapping defense to produce 11 steals including Haws' game-high five.
The Knights led by as many as 37 points in the third quarter before coach Quincy Lewis called off the dogs and emptied his bench
The win moves Lone Peak to 15-1 on the year. It's the team's sixth out-of-state win against a nationally recognized program. After traveling throughout the country the Knights are now home for good and will next take on Bingham on Tuesday night at home.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very little
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45