High school boys basketball: Lone Peak beats up Archbishop Mitty (Calif.) 81-46
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — Lone Peak is tough to handle even when its players are not firing on all cylinders. When all players are operating at high levels, however, the No. 3 nationally ranked Knights have proved all but impossible to defeat. Archbishop Mitty learned just that, falling to Lone Peak 81-46 in the Spalding Hoophall Classic on Monday.
BYU commits Nick Emery, T.J. Haws and Eric Mika have received most of the hype, but it was Conner Toolson who stole this show in the rout. The senior guard hit all six of his 3-point attempts and finished with a team-high 22 points.
Emery and Haws contributed 20 and 18 points respectively while Mika added 10 points and a game-high 12 rebounds. Archbishop Mitty was led by 6-foot-8 forward Aaron Gordon and his 27 points. Gordon is rated as a five-star prospect by both Scout.com and Rivals.com and holds offers from Kentucky and Arizona — among other programs.
Gordon's efforts proved far too little for the visiting San Jose, Calif., powerhouse, however.
The Knights jumped on the Monarchs early and were deadly behind the arc — hitting on 13-of-24 3-point attempts. Lone Peak was also tenacious on the defensive end using its trapping defense to produce 11 steals including Haws' game-high five.
The Knights led by as many as 37 points in the third quarter before coach Quincy Lewis called off the dogs and emptied his bench
The win moves Lone Peak to 15-1 on the year. It's the team's sixth out-of-state win against a nationally recognized program. After traveling throughout the country the Knights are now home for good and will next take on Bingham on Tuesday night at home.
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Local flavor in the NBA: Lillard continues to...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 143
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 38
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21